Kim Housley, Renter in Cockeysville, MD

How is it possible to to rent a home you know you can afford, but because of bad circumstances over 3yrs ago i.e, lost job, credit is not good?

Asked by Kim Housley, Cockeysville, MD Wed Jan 23, 2013

Answers

3
Carrie.lestz’s answer
We have two rentals, one we rented to a couple who didn't have perfect credit. We understood that everyone goes through difficulties in their life. We considered past rental references and how long ago the issue was. We currently have a unit for rent but are having a hard time getting honest candidates or people who will actually show up when they make an appointment. So the problem goes both ways.
Kim,

Sometimes, when submitting a rental application, a personal letter to the owner explaining previous credit issues, can help. In the end though, it's the owners decision whether to rent to an individual, or not.

Rich
In a nutshell, landlords make the decision, not lenders, and if you don't pay your rent, it's a lot easier to remove you from the dwelling than if you don't pay your mortgage, which, in Maryland, can take 10 months or more.

If you had problems three years ago, you may be able to buy a home using FHA, VA, or USDA financing. Feel free to give me a call at 410-960-3272 or email me at rbourdeaux@waterstonemortgage.com and I'll work with you to get you ready to buy as quickly as possible, if not now.