Rentals in South Area>Question Details

rachel  rami…, Other/Just Looking in South Area, Wichita,...

How is it leaving in Wichita?

Asked by rachel ramirez, South Area, Wichita, KS Sat Jun 23, 2012

I went to Wichita on vacation to visit family. It seems real peaceful and rush hour is not crazy packed. Are people nice and is it not too bad in the winter? My husband and I are planning to move there. Are jobs hard to come by?

Answers

3
Wichita is much as you described. Our highways make it possible to get about anywhere in town in 15 minutes or less. The unemployment is now 6.1%, well below the national average. If you are an engineer AirBus is hiring 600 new engineers immediately. Cessna just got an order to 160 Citations Jets. Boeing and Spirit Aerospace are going well also. All in all Wichita is just a very nice place to live. Southwest Airlines is about to begin discount service here to most of the country. Come Join Us.! Roger Nickel 316 871-7653
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
I have lived in Wichita since I started at WSU almost 7 years go. I have loved it here. Although its likely my husband's career will eventually take us out of Wichita (and probably Kansas), I truly love this city. For its size, it has a lot to offer in the way of entertainment. We have one of the best zoos in the country (there's also a neat one in Goddard 15-20 minutes away). We have excellent (if pricey) theaters and have a lot to offer in the way of fine arts: CityArts, Century II, Crown Up Town, etc. If you don't like living in town there are plenty of suburbs in the metro area that offer a small town feel but are just minutes from the convenience of a large city. There are also many technical schools and colleges in the area if you decide to further your education. Traffic, though I complain about annoying intersections, is not bad at all.

Depending on what your work is, jobs can be easily found in several fields. Aircraft is obviously the big industry here but I'm a legal secretary and don't have trouble finding work. If you're a teacher, I don't recommend working in Wichita school district-work in one of the surrounding towns. Although I'm not sure what the private schools are like, of which we have several. Wichita public schools don't treat their teachers very well. They just finally lifted a 4 year salary freeze and that was only after a long and ugly battle with the district.

The weather is pretty awful though. I do not like the summers, which are hot and humid (the past two years have been pretty miserable) and the winters can get pretty cold if it snows. There is also a tornado season but radar technology now is such that if you pay attention to the weather warnings, you can easily prepare and protect yourself.
Jobs are hard to come by if you don't have aircraft experience. Winters are okay until the winds blow then they can be pretty harsh. People are pretty nice. Retail jobs and restaurants are pretty easy jobs to get. I have lived in Wichita for over 30 years. We really dont have a lot of rush hours here. I would seriously consider looking into Derby or Haysville before Wichita. They have just as much to offer especially Derby and it s only a 15- 20 minute drive to anything in wichita. Schools in derby are better