Rentals in South Beach>Question Details

Adam Khan, Renter in San Francisco, CA

How do I verify the ad credentials if the owner is out of town and is requesting a wire transfer?

Asked by Adam Khan, San Francisco, CA Tue Nov 29, 2011

Answers

18
Let me see...................Out of town?....................Requesting a wire transfer?.........................What do you think Adam?As the Sapranos used to say.....................Fogidaboudit.
Sounds like a scam, never wire any money upfront--you can check local public and tax records for an owner's name, thereafter you would need to see proof that the person is the actual owner....
Have you met the owner? Have you checked to see if he is actually the owner? I definitely would not do the wire transfer...smells like a scam to me!
Web Reference: http://DotChance.com
This is the common MO for the Scam Artists!

Good luck and may God bless
If you have not actually been to the apartment & the price is below market this sounds like a scam.
Web Reference: http://www.billharkins.com
Adam, you just answered your own question. First rule of order? DON'T!!! This has SCAM written all over it. You can either be a prudent SHOPPER or a sorry SAP. It's your's to win or lose.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
Never, ever. Wire money. If this ever happens, please report the listing ASAP!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 12, 2012
SCAM. Don't send any money, clearly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 7, 2011
Adam, RUN! This is a scam. Let me guess, they asked you to drive by the place first and if you liked it, send you a deposit? Am I pretty close?

Find either a rental agent or a property managent company to work with. If you need a referral, ask.

Tap
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 1, 2011
We have to agree with our colleagues, sounds fishy. If you really like the place though, have a rental agent check it out for you. Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
Many San Francisco rental owners like to vacation in Nigeria. If they are asking for you to wire the money to Nigeria I would definitely suggest you do it immediately, and even send extra if it is a nice place. I also have some stocks you might want to invest in. Sincerely, Bernard Madoff.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
Never send money to anyone renting property till you've seen the property and a have a lease with the landlords and your names on it in your hands.
This bears repeating often - nothing in real estate is real till it is in writing. Use that fact to protect yourself and to insure that you are dealing with another who knows the rules and is offering a bona fide product.
There are many scams going on now and the rules of credit investigation have also changed.
As a property manager I will not allow any money to be spent till the prospective tenant has seen the property and given me an application. Then I will have the prospect pay for a credit check. If all that meets the criteria for the unit then it is offered and the terms of the lease and deposits are finalized. The security deposit is then given to me and the keys are delivered right before occupancy.
Really there should be little variation on this scenario.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Adam, does the broker have an e-mail from Excite.com by any chance?

It's the second time I find a "absolutely good deal" from guys with different names, but with standardized e-mail messages and thy both have e-mails @excite.com

I'm facing the same problem as you.
I used to be a bank manager for a bank-too-big-to-fail and I met at least two people that had thought they had won a lottery which they NEVER played. The "lottery" people out-of-country asked for money prior to paying the winnings. Don't send to Nigerian princess either. Advice from previous answers are good.
Most likely it's a scam. I would ask to view the unit before sending any money out.
this is definitely a scam. i emailed the guy and he was adamant about "secure the apartment until you move-in". i live around the corner. the price is unheard of and who lets you view the apartment 1 day after the previous tenant move out? dont they need time to clean the place?
This is probably a scam. Trulia does not verify their listings so be very careful.

You might want to hire your own rental agent. Their fee is usually one month's rent but I feel it's worth it.

Oggi Kashi CADRE 01844627
Paragon Real Estate Group
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
We do have some pretty strong spam and scam filters. It is not perfect, but we do work on this everyday. We also manually scrub listings, and check every flag reported. Consumers should never send personal information in an e-mail, let alone blindly send money.
Flag Tue Jun 26, 2012
That's what I suspected, thank you for the confirmation.