Rentals in South Milwaukee>Question Details

laurie1229, Renter in Milwaukee, WI

How do I report a what I feel is a scam?

Asked by laurie1229, Milwaukee, WI Thu Jun 20, 2013

I am looking for an apt using Craigslist and have run in to more than a few scams and would like to warn others

Answers

3
Craigslist has an option where you can let them know of a scam - take a look at their site and you will find it!

I had a rental listing, a while ago, that was used by a scammer - I emailed Craigslist, and within an hour they took it down. Make note of the ID#.

Unfortunately, there are a number of fraudulent rental listings there......they are all over, so you have to be very careful!

If it sounds too good to be true - it isn't true.....and never wire money to a stranger!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 20, 2013
Thank you for your help. I flagged it on Craigslist as well as let the actual owner of the property know what was happening.
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
Laurie - glad to have been of help.

It is good you flagged it, but even better that you let the owner know what was going on!

Have a great weekend!
Laurie,

I ran into a similar CL scam on a property I had for sale. Somehow the scammer took my for sale listing and posted it as a rental listing. I started getting calls about rentals which was puzzling at first. The person who was looking for the rental was going to set up a "sting" on the scammer but they never did agree to meet in person and always asked for the money to be wired before they would make arrangements to meet with keys. Shortly after we made the request to meet the ad was taken down.

With the ease of posting and then removing ads it makes for an easy environment to operate this scam. Please do report it to CL...maybe they can start an investigation into the account holder.

As Debbie said....NEVER WIRE ANYONE $$$ unless you know them!

Troy Miller
Total Realty LLC
414-333-3723
troymiller@totalrealty.com
http://www.totalrealty.com