Rentals in San Francisco>Question Details

Mulletworthy, Renter in Oakland, CA

How do I rent an apartment in San Francisco if I have terrible credit but a decent salary?

Asked by Mulletworthy, Oakland, CA Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

5
Dino Zuzic, MBA/Realtor’s answer
One, immediate option is to increase your security deposit by two months worth - that will create some strong goodwill between you and the landlord. Additionally, you could give the landlord 6 months of rent up-front to help minimize the assumed risk associated with a terrible credit score. Hope that helps.

Dino Zuzic
TRI Coldwell Banker
415-317-4546
http://www.dinozuzic.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 27, 2013
Go through YP.com, call every listed apartment complex and ask for vacancies so that you find a place before it gets listed on Craig's List. Get there as soon as the landlord is available to meet you, and look like an intelligent, decent person. I have sketch credit history and I got my apartment that way.
A terrible credit yet with good salary is actually NOT THAT BAD. There are companies that can help you out here. These are the companies that help people rent even with bad credit. Yes, they are the ones that don't do credit checks and only ask for minimal requirements. What I know is that these companies actually require you to have a decent monthly income in order to get approved. What I can recommend is EZ Lease Rentals to be specific and to help you out. I heard they're amazing as some of my friends have tried them.
You might get a rental with low credit, however it is wise to work on improving your credit ratings in the long term.Here are a few tips to get you started:

http://www.realtypin.com/news/story/738-cant-qualify-for-a-m…
Many times landlords can look past credit issues as long as you have never been evicted, have a good rental history and a good job. Write a cover letter to them with your application.