Rentals in Paradise Valley>Question Details

Mlsuchon, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

How do I know the person that I'm renting from is indeed the owner of the house and that the home is not in foreclosure?

Asked by Mlsuchon, Phoenix, AZ Sun May 29, 2011

Answers

9
Misuchon,

I certainly understand your concern. This has become a problem in many areas. You can search the Maricopa Assessors website to find out who owns the property. I provided the web reference below. You can also ask the owner for proof of payments. They may or may not provide them to you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 29, 2011
One sure way is to work with a Realtor. I ran in to this issue last spring when I had a home listed for rent. A prospect called me from my sign in front of the house. The prospect found out about the home from an ad on Craigslist. Short story. the prospective renter had answered the Craigslist ad, spoke wth the "owner" was told by the "owner" the rental could be "held" for the prospect by giving the owner the prospect's credit card number. The prospect gave his credit card number !!!!.....and stopped by to look at the house. Needless to say, the Craigslist "Owner" was not the real owner. Lesson learned here was
work with a Realtor. Realtors have a lot on the line, their license, their livelyhood, their reputation. Realtors will have or can find answers to questions you may have about the property.
Thank you to all of you that replied. I did check on the property and the county assessor has it listed in Glendale and the owner states PV. When I brought this up to him he started tap dancing around the issue and decided to go with another renter. I owe you all a debt of gratitude as I fear this would havebeen ugly!
This information is available on the county's tax database and is a public record.
Use a full time property rental company, not a real estate agency that does property management as their secondary business. They have already prescreened the owners

David Cooper! Las Vegas Bank Owned Foreclosure Investor
Save 20% and more.. For Freee Daily List
email: davidcooper@lasvegaswinner.org or Call +1-7024997037
Hi Misuchon,
Another resource is http://www.netvaluecentral.com. Go to the second page of their "News" section on the right of the page. They have a short paragraph to explain and then can send you to their site at http://www.aznvc.com. They provide free access to find out if the property you are renting is in the foreclosure process - they can also monitor it for you but there may be a fee. They indicate they have relationships with certain agents, so check them out.

This site will tell you if they are in the foreclosure process now, but you will want to continuously check back because the property could go into foreclosure at any time. They provide access to public records so they should be able to indicate who the owner is, however I have not used their AZNVC.com service. I have used their comp service for several years and it has been very helpful.

Hope that helps! Always good to have more than one resource!!

Chelle DuBrowa
http://www.MosaicGroupInc.com
MosaicRealEstate@cox.net
If you are new to the area and are doing the rental through a licensed real estate agent, the agent should be able to tell you the status of the ownership. Also, the listing broker should include this information in their listing information. If you are dealing direct with the "owner" then go to the links provided by several other agents who have responded to this question to verify ownership and marketing status.
Hi Misuchon,

You can simply look them up on the Maricopa County assessors sight where they have a link to their deed recorded with the Maricopa County Recorder's office. Here is the link to the Assessors site:

http://www.maricopa.gov/Assessor/ParcelApplication/Default.aspx

As for a foreclosure, I can look up the property on the system that we use through the MLS. Please provide me with the address and I will tell you if its in foreclosure or not. You could just try asking the owner if they are paying their mortgage on time.

If they are not paying their mortgage and it goes into foreclosure, then you are still protected with the "Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act" signed into law by the president in 2009. Here is a link to the fair house brochure on this topic:

http://www.fairhousingadvocates.com/assets/PEFLYERPROTECTING…

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you now or in the future with your real estate needs.

Sean Heideman, Realtor,
ZipRealty, Inc.
Office: 480-213-5251
You can go to the county property appraiser website and check the online property records, as for are they in foreclosure, you would have to go to the online court records, enter the name of the person you are renting from and see if Les Pends or other Foreclosure documents come up! I hope that they are not, I have seen some great families lose their rental homes here in Florida, many never even got much notice before the Sheriff tacked the vacate notice on the door!. If you do find that a bank is foreclosing on the owner, you need to go to a Real Estate Attorney, the few hundred dollars is worth it, they will have answers as well as remedies and procedures that will keep you in the home for a while longer, some may even be able to show you a way to negotiate with the bank to buy the home.