Rentals in Paterson>Question Details

Dianacontrer…, Renter in Clifton, NJ

How do I know if it's a scam?

Asked by Dianacontreras33, Clifton, NJ Thu May 16, 2013

I am interested in a house that is 4 bd, 3bath in paterson nj for $1500. I have contacted the "owner" via text but he really does not seem to want to talk on the phone, just want to know if this is a scam?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Paterson

Answers

9
this happened to me with one of my for sale listings a while back.someone copied my listing description and the photos onto Craigslist and Trulia. the house was listed for sale at 699k and they "listed" it for rent at 1,500 dollars a month.you can imagine how many phone calls I got and people knocking on the seller's door thinking it was too good to be true, which of course it was.
This is absolutely a scam!! I met the REAL owner yesterday evening and he is very frustrated that people keep going by his house thinking its for rent. The home is for sale, and I already flagged this posting on trulia. Thank you everyone for your help.
Any reputable owner will not ask you for money before you see the property.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Never ever exchange money PRIOR to signing a lease and even then if the contact person says they will give you the keys or mail you the keys after you pay them that's a red flag as well. This is definitely a scam. Contact a local Realtor who can find you legit rentals.
My advice is, never send Western Union to someone you don't know.
What's his reason for wanting the $300 up front without meeting you? It does not seem right to me.
He will meet me at the property only if I send him money trough western union $300.
If it looks like a duck,
And it quacks like a duck.......
Will he meet you at the property & show it to you?