Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Joel Ayon, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

How do I know if a house is really for rent, have investigated listings on trulia, and they end up being for sale or no sign at all?

Asked by Joel Ayon, Los Angeles, CA Wed Aug 8, 2012

Answers

5
Emily S. Knell’s answer
Click on my profile to view my 2 blog postings here on Trulia called "RED FLAGS RENTAL SCAMS - PUBLIC BEWARE", I show you exactly how the scammer talks so you know if you're talking to one or talking to the actual owner. This information will help you to NOT get scammed.

I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
DRE#01211967
Find yourself a good agent. They can help you. It costs you nothing! Renter/Seller pays the commission.
is a common scam ... they find a home for sale (usually vacant).. then they list it as if it were for rent really cheap... (usually someone from another country)... then they get people to go look at them and somehow they convince them to mail in the security deposit and they will be delivered the keys... bye bye security deposit....

I have heard people actually sending rental deposit to Nigeria and then expecting keys back.. it happened in one of my listings.... common sense is the best answer...take a step back (like you did) and ask if it makes sense...

Best of luck!
Ron
Suzanne is right, at one time in 2010 all my listings where getting calls for rent and they would drive-by the home call me and say i want to rent the home. I would say it is not for rent and please don't give anyone money unless they actually have keys and show you the home personally.

I actually called the internet police!!!! Crimes on the internet, they first came from POSTLETs.
The cheap rentals are a sign, and they don't talk to you personally or give you a phone number, RUN!
When in doubt, walk away. There are foreign scam artists who have been preying on people on Craig's List for years. Now I am starting to hear stories like this about other sites like Trulia. If you find a property listed for rent, and it is NOT for rent but IS for sale, please alert the administrators here at Trulia. If a realtor is offering the property for rent OR for sale, please also contact the realtor.

The scam goes like this, an owner puts their house up for sale through a realtor. The realtor does their job, takes photos and lists it on various websites including Trulia and Craig's list. Foreign con artists see the listing, steal the photos and offer it for rent at an unbelievably good price (which should be your first clue) and say, 'we were going to sell but changed our minds' and 'we were relocated for our job to (fill in the blank, some foreign country), or 'we are missionaries' and then they ask you to email an application and eventually wire transfer the secuirty deposit and first month's rent to a foreign bank. Your money is GONE, the house is NOT for rent and they are NOT the owners! I have even heard horror stories of people showing up with a lease and a moving van.

Please, don't fall for this scheme and, please, let those in authority know if you suspect such a scheme. It needs to end and the only way to make it end is for it to be reported.