Rentals in Phoenix>Question Details

Kharma, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

How do I find private owners to rent from?

Asked by Kharma, Phoenix, AZ Wed Jan 2, 2013

I am looking to RENT a home in Phoenix. I was told a private owner would be my best approach considering my situation: past eviction (over 2.5yrs ago), I also have my financial aid and government grants listed as my source of income since my other income can not be accounted for. I am also considering sharing this place with my girlfriend who has a recent eviction but makes good money working for a catering service in Scottsdale. I need an immediate move in so I am not on the streets and someone willing to work with me on total move in amount with a rent under $900 a month for at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathroom and a backyard. I'm tired of paying to be scammed, I've lost most of my money that way...

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Phoenix

Answers

9
Craigslist and a private owner will probably be your best bet. I have a rental and usually find my tenants that way. You'll need to be able to explain the eviction to be able to put a potential landlord at ease. Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 3, 2013
really
Flag Tue Aug 20, 2013
She probably figured it out as her question is a year and a half old.
how do I find a home owner who is renting their house because I have a very sick baby I need to move out the hospital and its making me mad how much they have me waiting to find out if I can get into a home..... who knows anyone
i'm looking to move soon to something with a two bedroom
Sounds like you're in a real pickle. I think it's going to be challenging at best to find a place from any legitimate landlord that will rent to you. Do you have friends or family that you can rent a room from until you get your financial situation in order? All the Best!
Rentals.com sometimes has owner rentals.
We have several properties for rent, and under the right circumstances we may be able to help. What kind of financial aid and government grants do you have? What other source of income do you have and why it can not be accounted for? Can you pay a security deposit?
June,
I am looking to relocate to Phoenix and was initially looking to purchase a home as opposed renting, but the I may have to rethink on my options. I am partial to the Goodyear/Litchfield Park area. Please provide a way to contact you directly or provide a website to search listings.
Flag Mon Mar 4, 2013
You can work with a Realtor; not just a management company- otherwise you need to scour the Internet (be careful of scams) and drive around in the area you want. A Realtor can search for homes that will be owner managed and thus the owner will approve you. I recommend you consider writing a letter/personal statement to include in your applications and be prepared to offer 1.5x the rent as a security deposit; in addition to first Month's rent.
Hi Kharma,

You might want to try http://www.forrentbyowner.com/. You can search by your location and criteria and contact the owner directly. I'm sure you've tried Craigslist (which is always hit or miss) but you might want to try looking at some of the classified ads online for local papers like New Times or AZ Central. If you have an idea of a specific neighborhood you would like to be in, it might be in your best interest to drive through the neighborhood to see if anyone has "For Rent by Owner" signs posted in front of their house. Best of luck to you!
She hiding something!
Flag Thu Jun 5, 2014
Thank you very much. I did drive around the South Mountain, Laveen, Phoenix area but most of the places I see and love are being rented through a company and not a private owner who may be more willing to work with my situation.
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013