Rentals in 60651>Question Details

adrian11086, Renter in Chicago, IL

How can you dispute a paid judgement off your record?

Asked by adrian11086, Chicago, IL Wed Nov 21, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 60651

Help the community by answering this question:


You will need to have:
1. Proof of payment in full
2. patience
3. perseverance

The process is to first contact whoever has made the claim, tell them it was paid and ask that they notify the credit reporting agencies of the error. Ask for it in wrting, and the stament needs to say it way an error on the vendor's part.
If that works, you will see if off your record in 30-90 days.
you will then need to go to wherever it is posted as a public judgement (municipality) if it is there, and provide them with the proof it was paid and the the letter.

Most likely, this will not happen.
So, you contact the credit reporting agencies, tell them you dispute the record, and they will send you paperwork to complete to provide proof the record is not correct.
they will also contact the vendor and ask them to explain the proof of payment you have provided.

These things take at least 3 months on average to resolve.

You may want to consider engaging a credit repair service to address this for you, but that is going to cost money, it is a question of your having the time and patience to go through the dispute process.

Good luck.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 21, 2012
What an awesome, clear, detailed and useful answer! Wow!
Flag Wed Nov 21, 2012

I feel David Hanna gave you the best advices. It is clear to me he has helped out some of his clients with this before.

Happy Thanks Giving,

Manuel Brown
iMove Chicago
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 22, 2012
If you have paid the judgement, it should be showing up as paid on the credit report. There is no way to have it removed. It will remain on the credit report for 10 years. But the further distance from the date of the paid judgement, the less that it will effect your credit score.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
Provide proof that you have paid it off and as David thoroughly responded, be patient, perservere and if I may add, be persistant!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
You have to send a written statement, copy of your state ID, proof of the paid judgement to each of the three credit bureaus... you must send by certified mail. They have 30 days to respond and take it off your record.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 22, 2012
Contact Jim Schultz at 773 680 7426
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 21, 2012
You can always also try hiring an attorney. Its pricey though.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 21, 2012
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 21, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Illinois > Cook County > Chicago > 60651 > Rentals in 60651 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer