Rentals in Atlanta>Question Details

Trulia Atlan…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

How can someone with bad credit improve their chances of getting a rental?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Tue Jan 29, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Atlanta

Answers

4
Hi Renter,

You can always secure a third party co signer or speak with a specialiest on this matter. Our company actually specializes in this field for free and we have a list of potential co signers. Please feel free to contact us with more details.

Kindest regards,

The RGW Team!
Double the amount of security deposit

Provide stable references from previous leases

Have a co-signer

Be honest about reasons for bad credit
I think number one is be honest about your situation. Accept responsibility for the decisions you have made in the past. As a Realtor I do a credit check and a criminal background check on people. I always say, "no one likes surprises." If there is anything that is going to show up on either it is better to know upfront. I've owned my own investment properties for over 20 years and have rented to folks with not great credit. People need a place to live--period...it is a need not a want. I believe in giving people a chance. Making sure you have paid your rent on time on previous situations helps with the landlord check. At the end of the day it is up to the property owner--help us plead your case by being honest from the beginning.
There are a few things that can make an owner consider a tenant with bad credit:

1. Up front rent payment for several (3-6) months. Though it is risky for you if the owner default on his payments.

2. Higher security deposit. I recently did two such deals with 2 month's rent as security deposit upon signing lease with first month's rent due upon move in.

3. Stable employment.

4. Not too many defaults. May be one bankruptcy or some credit cards or one foreclosure instead of a long list of credit issues.