Rentals in Lake Forest>Question Details

aerobicmaniac, Home Owner in Lake Forest, CA

How can cheaters falsely list properties for rent if they don't own the property and are not the person listing it?

Asked by aerobicmaniac, Lake Forest, CA Tue Apr 16, 2013

If a realtor or home owner is not listing a property themselves there should be a system in place to check the person doing the listing otherwise it is a SCAM.

Answers

7
I had this happen to me as well. I had an ad on Craig's list, and there is a link to report phishing ads such as these. With that said, however, my other idea was the most effective. I listed another ad that was very similar to the fake ad and for the same price so that the potential tenant would likely see it. I received much fewer calls because the two ads showed up in the same results, and my ad warned them to steer clear of the Fake ad and to not give anyone any type of deposit, etc. This idea greatly reduced the false calls, and I left my ad up and running at the market price. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
I showed up to a vacant home my office had for sale and a young couple had moved in to the home, I called the police, and the couple showed a bogus lease, the landlord listed wash't even close to the owners name. This happened a lot during the "Bank Owned and Short Sale" dominated market a few years ago.
There is a way to avoid these types of scams, and I doubt the ones pulling these false lease scams are actually licensed Realtors, because the state license is far to valuable and difficult to achieve to just throw it away by trying such a short sighted con game.
It takes less than a minute to verify a Real Estate license, go to: http://www.dre.ca.gov the first link you will see is "verify a license", once you find a Agent or Broker with a license in good standing, then have them run a quick title check on any property that interests you, and you will know if you are dealing with the owner or not.
It is up to each of us to protect ourselves.
What a shocker all the Realtors all say use a Realtor....cuz they wouldn't cheat ya if they could. ;-/

Just be careful if there is money on the table someone will try to take it...period.

Keep an eye on that Realtor too! Remember they are professionals at what they do.698
This happens all the time. It’s sad. Most Real Estate information is public knowledge. It’s really up to the renter to do their due diligence. This is why it’s so important for renters and homeowners to use Agents.

Steve Colvin
Premier Cal Realty
steve@premiercalrealty.com
premiercalrealty.com
aerobicmaniac,
You really need a Realtor / Agent / Broker to list your home for you and put it in the MLS. The Listing Agent will take all those calls for you and qualify the applicants with credit reports, etc.
Best of luck,
Thom Colby
Broker
Orange County CA
Agree! Just had a client find a place on Craig's List. She called me when she was told to make one of the checks out to the "agent". She just didn't feel right about the transaction and the "agent" didn't know very much about the property, so she cancelled her cashier's checks and called me. We just found her a great place to live!!!

Sad to say that people figure out so many ways to be dishonest so they can make money. Make sure your speaking to a home owner or ask the representative for their business card. Any one with a Real Estate Lic. has a DRE#. Get that number from the property manager or whomever that person claims to be from. You can check online to see if they have any complaints filed. Most agents have marketing such as web-sites.

Best Of Luck!
Rochelle Chacon
SOmeone listed my property falsely and now he/she is asking people to text for more info probably so he/she can cheat them out of money. In the meantime I am trying to rent my home only to have to field these false calls since this individual listed my 3 bedroom home for rent for $800? How someone could believe that to begin with is beyond me.The actual rent is $2600. which is still low for the area but now thnks to this joker I am having even more trouble finding serious rentors. I need my listing pulled down ASAP. Can someone help direct me to the right email or phone to get this handled?