Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Ellie, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

How can an 18 year old rent a house in Los Angeles when she has moved from the UK?

Asked by Ellie, Los Angeles, CA Wed Jul 11, 2012

I am wanting to move to LA from UK but I have no family or friends in LA to co sign the lease. I have enough money to pay for the rent and wont need one but I am un sure about a lot of it. I have family in La Crosse.
Thanks in advance.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Ellie,

Let me give you a list of things that will make your move to L.A. fun and exciting, despite the headache-wars you are about to enter.

1. Get a Job Lined Up-L.A. isn't kind to the young and poor.
2. Learn some Spanish.-Not to be stereotypical but its been the language of SoCal longer than English.
3. Find a Friend-L.A. can get pretty lonely until you find your "bubble". This person can also be a much needed roommate to share rent with. You will need that at this age.
4. Get a CAR, a GOOD CAR!!!!- In L.A., No CAR=NO LIFE! Its that Serious.
5. Have a LICENSED BROKER represent you. -It Gives off the Vibe that you are young, but a serious tenant candidate.
6. And Lastly, get renters insurance quotes.-This protects you from yourself and your landlord. Don't worry its VERY CHEAP!

That's what you should do to start. If you have family here already, see if they can help you with this. If not, you can always email us. We are the relocation experts, that can tell you from a 1st person perspective: none of our agents are from L.A., so they all went through it.

Happy Hunting!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
Hey Chase Estates,

Thanks so much for your tips and advice.
I'll attempt some Spanish ! I've been having a look at cars on craigslist etc but I think I may need to up my game!
I'll have a look at renters insurance.

I think I'll need to e-mail yous!
I honestly haven't a clue but!
What do yous do?

Thanks a lot!
Flag Sat Jul 14, 2012
Dear Ellie,
It will be difficult, most Lessors are reluctant to lease without references or co-signers when the tenant does not have credit or other forms of security. The landlord is taking a risk in this case.

if you are willing to give a large deposit and possibly pay for rent in advance, you will be more likely to find an agency willing to lease to you. I would go with a large complex that is run by a property management company first. They tend to be more flexible then an individual property owner ( in my experience).
You might also consider leasing in an area with many college students, you might be able to find room mates and the landlords are used to working with a younger population without credit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 11, 2012
Hey Dorene thanks very much for your advice. Who are some of the large complexes I could go with? I don't think I'd want a room mate but I wont rule it out.
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer