Rentals in Corvallis>Question Details

CorvallisHom…, Home Owner in Corvallis, OR

How can I set up a single family home for dual living without violating any zoning or city regulations? (Corvallis, OR)

Asked by CorvallisHomeowner, Corvallis, OR Sun Feb 5, 2012

Is it correct I can put in a kitchenette if I do not include a full range or a dishwasher, but counter and sink and countertop appliances are ok? Does the city have a list of regulations for those wanting their single family home to be set up for dual living (whether for grandparent or rental)?

Help the community by answering this question:


My current home has a daylight basement and the previous owner put in a kitchen with no range or dishwasher. The dishwasher was added after inspection. We rent it out to my father half the year and to a stranger the other half, with utilities included. I don't think the city can have an opinion about this (except for the dishwasher, which is probably not consistent with zoning) because I am simply renting part of my home, as anyone can do.

I am interested in doing something similar with a rental property. I would have 4 bedrooms rented on the top floor. And I would rent a daylight basement flat to someone else (with minimal kitchen. no one cooks anymore, anyway). Utilities would simply be included. Any thoughts on this?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 16, 2012
You absolutely need to go to either the City of Corvallis or the Benton County (depending on if you are in the city proper or not) and get your questions answered. There are a number of variations depending on if you are creating an incidental dwelling unit or not. There are some rules about how you configure based on the use and location. One thing you do not want to do is spend a lot of money on improvements that are not permitted or permit-able. Doing that can create challenges for you when you go to resell the property or if there is some other reason for the city/county to inspect (like a complaint) then it can cause a problem.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
This is definitely a question for the city. A good place to start is
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
You really need to go to your planning office and ask those questions so that you have it from them and not some one just guessing what the rules and regulations are. You are better off knowing if permits are required or what is expected then to put it in only to find out later you are in violation!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
Check with the city, it appears your asking a lot of question here, that the city could answer for you.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 5, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer