Rentals in Waltham>Question Details

Melanie Nuti…, Home Buyer in Waltham, MA

How can I rent an apartment without the best credit?

Asked by Melanie Nutile, Waltham, MA Wed Mar 13, 2013

My Husband and I are having a hard time finding a place for our family(2 adults and 2 children, small dog). We have a few blemishes on our credit but nothing huge. Unfortunately, we have been turned down a couple times during our credit check. We have to leave our current residence 4/1 and are kind of freaking out about what to do! Any suggestions?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Waltham

Answers

3
It would depend on the credit score, however, usually a co-signor will do the trick! Most owner's want to be sure somebody will be held responsible for the rent!

Feel free to look at my site, should you see anything, I will schedule it immediately!

http://www.masshomes.themlsonline.com

.
Search apartments here!

Best Wishes,

Mia Miskolczy, Realtor
TheMLSOnline.com
I agree with Shane, I have seen many landlords who will take someone with credit issues as long as they are in the past or have explanation. One suggestion I have is to be up front before the credit is run. Explain the issues they will find on the report (were there extenuating circumstances at the time that are no longer the case?). I would provide a letter to the landlord right away, before that is done. In the letter, provide your current landlord info if possible to show that you are paying rent on time now, despite the bad credit in the past.

Best of luck!
Thank you!
Flag Fri Mar 15, 2013
"Credit" is one important factor, but not the ONLY important factor that landlords consider when reviewing tenant applications. Sometimes explaining why a credit score is low can help. Many landlords (especially if they are having trouble renting a unit) will compromise. (In order to find a landlord who might be having trouble renting a unit, you may end up having to call on ads for apartments that are higher than "market rate." They might be willing to come down on the rent some, because they are probably not getting many calls. Or, like many people with less-than-optimal credit, you might end up having to pay a slight "premium" until the credit situation improves.) Hope this is helpful.