Rentals in 37076>Question Details

Mary, Renter in 37076

How can I rent a 2 bedroom apartment if I am credit challenged?

Asked by Mary, 37076 Mon Sep 20, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 37076

Help the community by answering this question:


Much will depend on the individual landlord--however, you could offer to pre-pay some of the rent, and or leave additional security money, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
Hello Mary,

There are a couple of things you can do. 1. You may ask the landlord if you can put down a higher security deposit and show them a track record of on time payments such as cell phone bills, electric etc... 2. You may be able to have a co-signer as well and that would be the easiest way. I would try not to go to 10 apartment complex's or landlords just to have them all pull your credit report. That could bring your credit down. If you have several pulled reports in the same 14 days it usually doesn't affect your score but you never know. I would call the apartments ahead of time and let them know upfront what your credit is, and find out what their guidelines are for renting. You can also pull your own credit report free at and then take it with you to show them. I hope this helps you and good luck :)
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
Hi Mary, I would suggest negotiating with the landlord/property manager to see if you can pay a larger deposit or make some rental payments up front. Landlords and property managers want to rent out their units, but also want to feel safe that they will receive their rent payments on time. This way, with some extra money in their pockets, landlords may feel more comfortable with the situation.

Best of luck.

Caroline Choi
Broker Associate/Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer