Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Alice Coffey, Renter in Urbana, IL

House Realtor I have dealt with is a disappointment to me...

Asked by Alice Coffey, Urbana, IL Wed Jun 4, 2014

I've tried numerous times to get with realtors for certain house that were available, I've told my situation and now I still dont' have anything, homeless with my grandchild and no where to go. I've asked plenty questions on trulia for someone to help me, they were nice at first but when you mention Section 8 vouchers they stray away...
I'm so disappointed. have a wonderful day to all the realtors out there...

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

3
I would also check with the Housing Authority in your area. They will often have lists of landlords that take Section 8 or lists of available apartments. In my state you can't refuse to rent with someone because they have a Section 8 certificate but apparently that is not the case in many other states.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2014
Thank you Elizabeth... right about now I wish I was in your state!
Flag Thu Jun 5, 2014
Hi Alice,

I am sorry to hear that you are being met with such bad practice from fellow Realtors. In every business there are bad eggs. The truth is that section 8 is tough and some agents see it as a waste of time and not an opportunity to help someone in need.

The best thing you can do is walk into a local real estate agency office and ask for the broker in charge. They will be happy to meet with you. Once you have a meeting explain your situation and she/he will know of an agent either in that office or another office that works with section 8 housing.

Good luck and god bless!
Brian Walsh
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 4, 2014
Hi Alice--I hope you've found somewhere to live by now. Unfortunately there are many underhanded ways that they can discriminate without actually coming right out and saying that they won't accept it. They can say that "it is privately owned and the owner does not want to participate." that you need to make 3 to 4X the amount of the rental property(not a whole lot of those around, yeah right) or just flat o out refuse and really don't care. They don't care because you don't have time to mess around with complaints, lawsuits, etc when you now have only 3 months to find an apartment, get it approved, and then move in, almost like a built in fail system. I believe it is all deliberate to keep Chicago segragated, to not let you get your foot in the door of better housing and to steer low income residents, at least the Black ones into areas that most don't want to move to. Have you noticed that you don't see Caucasians living in Englewood, the West Side, Roseland, or any of these bad areas? So what is really going on here. It is sad that in Chicago it is always the same old same old and also that the ones who abused the program are now the "Face of Section *" because some of us only want and need simply a fair chance just to get back on our feet. Good luck!
Also nothing will change unless there is a major, major discrimination lawsuit. Sorry, CHA is pretty much useless with help, they are part of the problem, sitting on funds of over $300,000,000 that was supposed to help the poor and disabled and holding onto over 12,000 vouchers that were supposed to be given out.
Flag Sat Feb 14, 2015