Rentals in Santa Monica>Question Details

antonia.wiga…, Renter in Santa Monica, CA

Hi, my family and I are planning to move to LA (ideally Santa Monica) from the UK . What criteria we will need to have to rent a house?

Asked by antonia.wigan1, Santa Monica, CA Tue Mar 19, 2013

Answers

12
Luana Della Luce (r)’s answer
Hello Antonia,
I live in Santa Monica and i speacilaize in relocations and i am also a realtor for over 15 years now...
I have family in the uk. and spend a few weeks there every year!!! they are in Nottingham!
I am happy to help you out and send you some listing for lease...
Please send me your wish list as i have many properties that are not listed as well.
How many bedrooms ?and what is your budget?
Move in Date?

Please feel free to call me or email me at agentluana@gmail.com
310 383-8883
Thank you so much for your reply. My apologies for not responding sooner.

We are not sure on our exact arrival date but hope it to be in the autumn so I am just trying to gather information at the moment. We will be looking for a 3 bed property, ideally with outdoor space and near good schools, budget $2-$3k. However your experience sounds really helpful so as soon as we are in clear on our timings I will definitely be in touch. Thank you so much again.

Best wishes for now,

Antonia
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Antonia,

As stated below, my colleagues have all done a fine job of outlining the requirements. I specialize in re-locations, and have previously lived in Sweden and France. I travel to Europe including the UK multiple times per year. I have many out-of-state clients, as well as numerous international clients from UK, Sweden, France, Germany, Ukraine, Mexico and China. I live in Santa Monica and would be glad to help you with your search. Please see my Trulia profile for more information about me to see if you think we would be a good match!

Lisa Anderson
Keller Williams
mobile: 310.980.6338
lisaanders.la@gmail.com
Dear Lisa, thank you so much for your reply, my apologies for the delay in responding. Your expertise sounds really interesting. At this stage I am just trying to gather information on locations, properties and schools as we are not sure on the exact timing of our move (which will be independent) but we are aiming for the autumn. If you come to the UK in the meantime, it would be great to meet. In the meantime, I will definitely be in touch if I may once I am more clear of our schedule?

Best wishes for now,

Antonia
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Antonia,

I am English and have lived and worked on the Westside for 33 years, including the last 10 years in Santa Monica (my favourite), which has a great school district, parks, farmers' markets, etc. I would love to help you and your family find a great house to rent in Santa Monica.

As you have probably not yet established a credit history in the U.S. you will need to provide proof of funds and ability to pay (e.g. copy of a statement from a local bank account, you can black out the account number for privacy, letter from employer) and work visa. You will need to pay a deposit of a minimum of 2 months' rent and sign a rental contract, usually for at least one year, after which it may be on a month-to-month basis.

Please call or email me for more information. I can email you current listings to match your criteria, to give you an idea of what is available.

Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon!

Karen Kunstler
Keller Williams Santa Monica
cell 310 739-7937
kkunstler@msn.com
Dear Karen, thank you so much for your reply and from a fellow Brit too! Your advice is really useful. We are not sure on our exact time of arrival but aiming for the autumn. We really like West LA and particularly Santa Monica. Being near good schools is vital as we have 2 sons (8 and 6). Our aim is to stay with a friend when we first arrive and then look for the property, ideally 3 bed, once we're in LA. If it is ok with you, I'd really like to get in touch once I am more clear on our timings and go from there?

Best wishes for now,

Antonia
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
I would love to help!

Give me a call directly at 310-502-0600. Good luck!

Your Neighborhood Realtor,

Chris Creed
310-502-0600
Chris@myrealtorchris.com
DRE 01880695
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013

Proof of ability to pay, references, passport, and a signed lease.

I like to keep life simple.

If you like difficulty there is a special program where if people from a foreign country buy a business that employees a certain amount of people like a car wash, hotel, restaurant, etc they can move money to the US and get a bump up on green cards and cirtizenship for having a job sustaining business or piece of real estate.

Al Goldberg Broker
"Making Real Estate Fun"
800-765-2609
ALYourBroker@yahoo.com
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Antonia,

Landlords here look for good credit, stable employment, proof of income, some don't accept pets or smoking. If you are relocating from the UK, will you have a credit history in the USA? If you are transferring with a company, perhaps you're employer can back you up. Let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck!

Elizabeth Sorgen
310-469-0500
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Good Morning
Santa Monica is a great area to live in (I live and work here). Depending on your needs and finances there are all types of properties (apartments, homes, condos, town-homes, low rise and high rises) available.
Have you been to Santa Monica before and do you have familiarity with the area.
It may be a good idea to find temporary accommodation like a hotel that you can rent for a month at reduced rate before you commit to a long term lease.
Once you are here and know the area better then you can make sound decision.
warm regards;

Manouch Galdjie
Keller Williams Real Estate Santa Monica
310-266-2824
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Antonia,

Congratulations on moving over here! Indeed my fellow realtors have already outlined most requirements for renting in Los Angeles. I work with clients from all over the globe who have made the same move and often paying an extra few months rent in advance has gone a long way in helping.

Being a Brit myself and having emigrated here in recent years, I have first hand experience with the process. Engel & Voelkers specialise in assisting foreign clients. Feel free to get in touch anytime if you need any more information or assistance, I would be only too happy to help. Good luck!

Kindest regards,

Guy Reid
Engel & Voelkers Santa Monica
310 699 2601
Guy.reid@evusa.com
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
Hi Antonia, I mostly work with international clients including many from UK. Recently, I helped a client has no hope for buying because of no credit history in US. I can direct you to how to get a loan if you need one...I live in work prime location of Santa Monica. Please feel free to contact at 310-447-4142 or email: chantal@yogirealtor.com with a questions you may have.
Chantal
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
We recently helped other clients from the U.K. relocate to Santa Monica, so we know the process.
Your challenge is going to be proving your credit-worthiness, as you probably don't have a credit score. A letter of credit worthiness from your banker or portfolio manager is very helpful in getting around this issue. You will need two month's rent as a deposit for an unfurnished rental, three months for a furnished rental.

Do let us know how we may assist you in the process.

Best….

Jodi Summers
The SoCal Investment Real Estate Group
Sotheby’s International Realty
310.392.1211
jodi@jodisummers.com
http://www.SantaMonicaLandmarks.com
License # - 01343854
**
Things do not change, we change. - Henry David Thoreau
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
If you have not developed credit in the US, you will need to show your ability to pay rent. A letter from an employer, work visa and US bank account showing sufficient funds usually does the trick. Please call me. I would be happy to help you find a home here. Best, Aaron Mirsky, Rodeo Realty 310.270.7548
Thank you!
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013
I'd be happy to help.
Please contact me directly.
Susan@SusanBour.com
Realtor/Coldwell Banker