Rentals in Nob Hill>Question Details

llamb, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Hi, more and more I am being asked to sign in to a contract without being able to view the property so that I don't miss out. Is this normal?

Asked by llamb, San Francisco, CA Tue Apr 22, 2014

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Nob Hill

Answers

4
If you have A trusted relationship with your agent, and you have provided the Agent with permission to do the same, based on your desired criteria, it just might be the difference in getting acceptance. There are clauses that can be added to the contract that will allow you to actually view and approve the deal prior to full acceptance. Your Real Estate professional will be happy to show you how. Good Luck!
Unfortunately as the market gets more impacted with buyers and tight inventory at times you may have to make an offer sight unseen. it is not recommended but in order to compete and win you have to act fast. Obviously have your agent preview the property on your behalf, read the complete disclosure packet so you are in the know about any pre purchase inspections that may have been performed (general contractors, pest, sewer lateral etc.) at that point you can have a general comfort level of the product. in addition you have contingencies you can include in the contract, one of them can be for the buyer to view and approve of the property. (red-flag for a seller).
I've seen this a few times as well. Are you looking at a rental property or a home to purchase?

There are ways to amend a contract with a contingency based on you actually viewing the property, so that if you end up seeing it and hate it, you could get out of the contract. I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to the person who is renting/selling the home, but that is definitely what I would try to do in a situation like this.

If you'd like any more help on this, I'd be happy to assist in any way I can!

-Ryan
I see this regularly if there is a tenant who doesn't want a steady flow
of lookers. Many agents won't accept an offer without the buyer viewing
it first to avoid accepting an offer and then being told that the buyer
doesn't like it.
Thanks Jill. Do I have any rights here? I'm obviously not going to sign any contract without viewing the property first. What if I don't like it when I do eventually see it? Also, this seems to be one particular landlord who owns multiple properties and the same seems to apply to all of them so I'm not convinced it's a tenant issue. Any advice on how I can protect myself here? Thank you.
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
I have noticed that too. Its not comfortable filling out personal information to be on the list of "maybe" potential customers.
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014