Rentals in 10014>Question Details

info, Renter in San Diego, CA

Hi, What are my rights as a renter with a month to month lease in San Diego CA after my landlord has sold my apartment?

Asked by info, San Diego, CA Tue Jan 15, 2013

What does the new owner have to legally abide by? Does he have to serve me with a written notice? How long do I have until I have to legally move out and must that owner allow me to continue to live with all utilities intact such as storage, garage space, laundry, hot water etc?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 10014

Help the community by answering this question:


Terry Bell’s answer
Even though you are only month to month, you have certain rights. Check with your local Attorney Bar Association, they can refer you to a local renter's rights association to make sure that you are given all the notice you are entitled to.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
It really Depends on the new landlord and what he or she plans to do....In any case, Legally your new landlord cannot neglect his responsibility to repair and maintain your rental unit as long as you remain there. Still In most parts of California, landlords can end a month-to-month agreement, without reason, by serving a tenant with proper notice.Unless you live in a city that uses rent control. In that case, landlords cannot end most month-to-month tenancies without citing a "just cause" for eviction. Such as nonpayment of rent or unlawful use of the property. Furthermore Tenure in a rental unit affords greater rights then that of a non-rental unit. In this case, Landlords must provide 60 days' written notice to terminate a month-to-month lease agreement granted the tenant has resided in the unit for at least a year or longer than a year. If not, then California law only requires 30 days' notice. This is pretty much the only knowledge that I have pertaining to this issue and I Hope it gives you a little more insight as to what your new landlord can and cannot do. However, I strongly encourage that you consult with an attorney who practices in your state with a focus in Real Estate Law As they are the experts in these kind of matters. Hope this Helps you out a bit.

Kind Regards.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
If asking about NY, for any necessary legal information consult with an attorney; see link below for helpful information....…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
In New York a 30- day notice would be required or he may send a lease if he wants to keep you as a tenant there. Ca may have more liberal pro tenant laws than New York and it is better to check with a local attorney. If you cant afford an attorney you can look up a legal aid office.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
The question you should be asking is what should you legally abide by. You rented the house, you don't own it. You should leave willingly after your official written notice which is usually 30 days later. However, I would start now to give yourself as much time as possible to find a new rental that you enjoy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
I can answer only with respect to New York law, not California.
Someone who knows California law will answer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer