Rentals in Austin>Question Details

Ashley D Wil…, Renter in Cedar Park, TX

Hi My name is Ashley, and almost a year ago I broke a lease. I didn't do it because I wanted to, I did it for the safety of my son.

Asked by Ashley D Willis, Cedar Park, TX Thu Oct 10, 2013

Now I would like to rent a home. Is there anywhere I could go and explain what happen and get help renting a home. Thank you

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Austin

Answers

7
Hi Ashley,

There are apartments that will take broken leases still. Landlords are on a case by case basis as well. If you want, I would be happy to email you what is available as far as apartments go (that accept broken leases). I can also send you what is available in private properties once I know your criteria (ie. price range, area of town, # of bedrooms, etc). Give me a call or send me an email and I would be happy to help you, free of charge.

Dan Burstain, Realtor
JB Goodwin Realtors
Dan@JBGoodwin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 11, 2013
Ashley, it will depend on how convincing you can be to a landlord. Most , but not all, will consider your circumstances and if they are comfortable with your situation and reason, then allow you to rent the home. They might also require an additional month's rent for a higher than usual security deposit. This is usually called "first and last month's rent." If you would be comfortable doing that, then I'd say you have a good chance of finding a home to rent. I'd be happy to help you, just contact me and we'll talk about what, and where, your needs are and then find it.
One additional concern. The Austin market is very active and good properties don't stay on the market very long, and it has also allowed the owners to be a little more picky.

Ron Cullinan
Realtor, GRI, ABR, CRS, e-Pro, CLHMS
Avalar Austin
512-799-3239
http://www.austinonlinehomes.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
You should write an explanatory letter. Also, you might want to have the agent who out you in that house vouch for you. I hav managed to get people with all kinds of history get into a new home all with an explanation and good rest of their record. Things happen.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 10, 2013
A few things you could do would be to; offer a larger security deposit, write a letter explaining your reasons for breaking your lease, find a good reference from the past that can verify you are a good tenant.

You might have a little less choice, because not all landlords will be sympathetic, but if you build a good case for yourself you should be able to find something.

I would get your facts straight, maybe write a letter explaining your circumstances and that you did it for your son. If you tried working things out with the previous landlord then explain that. Hopefully you can show good credit, and maybe get references from previous landlords. What you want to demonstrate is that prior to that situation you had always paid your bills and been a stand-up citizen.

You might not have as much luck if you're dealing with a management company that runs several rentals. But if you get a hold of an actual person then I have a good feeling someone will take a chance on you.

An I'd like to add that almost always, if it has to do with the safety of a child, I have found that Landlords will be more accommodating because who can refuse that??
I agree with Angele below that you can write an explanation letter; however, it all depends on the landlord and how comfortable he is with your explanation. When the leasing market is hot you'll likely have hard time finding a lease. Landlord knows that he can be picky! My suggestion is that you can try and see how it goes.

Best of luck,
Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!