Rentals in Riverside>Question Details

Jeanette Riv…, Home Buyer in Riverside, CA

Hello, how can i find out if one of these homes you have on your site are legit and not a scam?

Asked by Jeanette Rivera, Riverside, CA Sun May 20, 2012

there is a home in riverside, ca that i am interested in=16373 Skyridge Dr, a house for rent.
I wouldnt like to fall for a scam. we live in another state and I am looking to move to CA.

Answers

14
I can't add much to the previous answers because they're all spot on. You need to be careful when looking at rentals and a Realtor is the best way to do just that.

Unfortunately, I spend way too many hours making contact with foreclosed homeowners on behalf of several banks. My goal is to find out who lives in the home and to negotiate & complete Cash-for-Keys arrangements with them. Numerous times, I've come across renters who had no clue that the rent they had been paying for the last 9 to 18 months was going to the landlord's pocket and not to the mortgage.

The saddest one happened last year. When I drove up the house, there was a kid's jumper with 15+ kids in it playing and birthday streamers all over. I didn't want to stop but had no choice. To make a long story short, the renters had just moved in on May 227th. Because they had poor credit, the landlord made them pay a substantial deposit along with 1st & last months rent. I show up on June 8th because the house had gone back to the bank the day before. The landlord had not made a payment for 15 months and apparently figured he could make some extra fast cash from some unsuspecting renters.

So it is crucial to work with a Realtor to help you get in to the best home for you. But I also ask the question, "why rent when you might be able to buy?". I strongly recommend that we get you qualified. If you're not qualified today, we can get you on the road to being qualified I the very near future.

If you're interested in finding out if you can buy and you're not working with a Realtor, I suggest you get one right away. The FIRST and foremost step in purchasing a home is to get with a Realtor. Check with friends and family to see if they can refer someone to you or research sites, such as this one to find a good professional Realtor. Your SECOND step is to get pre-qualified for a loan. AFTER you find a Realtor, he or she will have you meet with the lender that he or she uses regularly. This is important. Please let me know if I can help or if you have any more questions.

Ray Wright
951-354-1303
RayWright@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
I wrote a blog because of the rental scams that are out there. Here is my link. http://www.trulia.com/blog/edeleon/ . Good luck and be careful.

Respectfully,

Eddie W. de Leon
Senior Loan Officer
951-210-2101
If the home is listed by a licensed REALTOR, it is not a scam. As a licensed REALTOR we are bound by a code of ethics. Call a REALTOR direct and find out what is on the market in your price range and area of interest. Buying directly from a Seller is not always the cheapest way to go. You are protected when you buy through a REALTOR.
I would be happy to email you information on 16363 Skyridge Dr and others in that area. What is your price range for a rental. I will send you all properties that fall that category
I have routinely checked title records for my clients to make sure that there was no "funny business" taking place because in some areas, property owners have fallen prey to these schemes. Please feel free to contact me to discuss confidentially. I am a property manager, an investor and licensed to sell real estate, so I have a lot of tools to research and protect real estate.
Jeanette,

We often give advice here and never hear back on the outcome. How did things go? What did you decide? Just curious. Feel free to post us an update here! Have a great day!
Well, there you go. If you haven't received a few good answers by now you're on the wrong site. Anyone who falls for these scams and doesn't use an RE professional for what little they make on a rental is a complete bafoon and deserves what they get. Good luck.
I hope more people read these answers because there are serious rental/lease scams far and wide.
Everyone please be very cautious!
Hi Jeanette,

Well as far as rentals go, you have a legitimate concern. As previous agents have metioned, you need to work with a local Realtor who will be able to find you a good rental or even a home purchase to pursue. Consider buying, if at all possible, as the benefits by far outweigh renting. Wish you the best...

Alfred
626-354-0764
Hello Jeanette !

By The Way - This home is NOT for Rent -
I just spoke with the listing agent - Gloria, who reaffirmed that its a Sale and not a Rental.

-- So any Rental Marketting is FALSE and a SCAM !

Jeanette - why aren't you looking to BUY instead of rent ??? Mortgages are lower than rents and you usually have additional tax right offs !!!! Plus its YOURS !!!! and You can paint it and decorate as much as your heart desires ! - Just a thought ;-)

Call or Email - I promise to make it as painless as possible to find out how much you qualify for !!!

Most Kindest Regards,
Mario Gonzalez
714-363-8425
email: MariogRealty@gmail.com
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY
JD Power & Associates Ranked #1 Buyer Satisfaction 2008, 2009, 2010
Chase Bank Preferred Agent 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Short Sale & Pre-Foreclosure Certified *
REO Buyer Agent & Distressed Property Certified
DRE LIC 01708214
These two gentlemen are accurate in their toughts. A local Realtor should not cost you anything in a purchase or a rental. It is customary for the seller or the landlord to pay both Realtors involved in the transaction. A Realtor will be able to verify for you that your "Landlord" or "Seller" is on title and legitimately can rent or sell you the home. He or she can also tell if the home is "upside-down" or even is close to foreclosure, indicating that the owner/landlord may not be able to provide you with a long-term, secure location.

Look for a Realtor that has been in the business several years or longer locally. For rentals specifically, Craigslist has a great page to help you avoid scams.

I wish you the best in your search for a home. Please contact me with any questions.
Jeanette,

I agree with the two previous posts. You need a Realtor to represent you to make sure you are not falling for a scam. The home you mention in your question is currently up for sale. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to assist you with any and all your real estate needs when you do come to California.

Daniel Harms
Tarbell, Realtors- Upland
951-232-5382
dharms@tarbell.com
Web Reference: http://www.danieleharms.com
Hello Jeanette !

I am with Jim !
Whether you live across the street or the other side of our beloved USA - I would always advise on hiring a Local Realtor to look out for you and double check EVERYTHING !

Homes are listed as Rentals, Sale, or Vacant Bank Owned homes - and scammers re-create a rental listing of their own. So even if you see a for rent sign - you may not be dealing with the actual landlord -- a Realtor has the tools to know the difference.

Most Kindest Regards,
Mario Gonzalez
714-363-8425
email: MariogRealty@gmail.com
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY
DRE LIC 01708214
I would start with a realtor, who will have the tools to check this out and help you avoid scams, which there seem to be far too many of these days...best of luck.