Rentals in Brookline>Question Details

Letr, Renter in Brookline, MA

Hello I have a question to realtor please... the realtor company ask for the money first, before they show the apartment?, or this is a scam?...thank

Asked by Letr, Brookline, MA Sun May 8, 2011

We talk to the owner (email) she said she lives in London and we going to do the process with the realtor.com., but she said the realtor it's going to send us the information to fill it up and where we are going to do the deposit and send the information back, she said it's the protection law from the company?, i think this is a scam, but I appreciate your reply....thanks...

Answers

18
If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. One protection would be to go to the real estate office involved or call them directly (google their local phone #) and see if the property is indeed theirs. Here in Massachusetts you can also visit the Registry of Deeds website and verify the name of the owner of any property in the state to see who you are dealing with. Link below. You can also check out any real estate professional, office etc. directly from the Massachusetts Website Mass.gov & visit the Office of Professional Licensure to see if who you are dealing with is licenced.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
Let the federal and local law enforcement agencies know about it. The more people that send these types of scams to the proper agencies the better. If no one enforces anything against these scammers they will continue to take advantage of peoples trust in one another.

LouisWolfson
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
It is a scam. They take a listing that is not even theirs and post it. Then they work this scam of asking you to send them the moeny. I agree....report them but not sure how much that will help since it is all email based and no authorities seem to have the ability to track down and find these people. Best to use a realtor, but if you really want to go it alone, don't pay anyone anything until you sign the lease (in person) and get the keys.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
Always use your common sense. If it makes no sense, say no. Money up front is a scam.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
Sounds very much like a scam...and you may wish to report this person to the local authorities.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
Scam. 100% scam.

I could elaborate, but it's not necessary. Scam.

You didn't talk to the owner. The person (who doesn't live in London) is a scammer.

I know the rent on the property seems too good to be true. Guess what? It is. That's the bait.

If you're going to use a Realtor (which is a good idea) for an apartment, then work through a Realtor, not directly with someone you only "know" via e-mail and wants money up front.

Scam.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 8, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Sounds fishy to me. You should never send money without proper documentation in place first.
I would find a realtor who was not looking for money up front.
If something feels "wrong" then there often times is a good reason for it. You should research the real estate office involved with the Better Business Bureau, local chamber of commerce and the Massachusetts Office of Professional Licensure to see if there are any complaints and that they're in good standing. You can also research the agent/broker you are dealing with directly there. You can also ask for refrences. Asking for a deposit before even seeing the property is highly unusual. A retainer might be required but that would be only given with a contract for performance which you should read and fully understand first and if you don't understand anything in a contract you should absolutely have an attorney review it first. I'm always super cautious of anyone that says the owner is "out of town" for any reason. You can also verify the owner with the local registry of deeds to make sure who you will be renting from. Fraud rentals can also do this so that's why I always say, if it feels wrong there usually is a reason for it & sometimes walking away is the right thing to do and seek a trusted real estate professional to work with.

Hope that helps, let us know how you make out
Web Reference: http://www.BettyLevin.com
Yes!! It is a scam. I cannot stress enough. Never deal with anyone who claimes they are in another country and that you must send them the money. Any legitimate owner who lives in another country hires a Realtor because they cannot be there to handle the transaction.
That is definitely a scam.
Sounds like a scam to me.
Web Reference: http://www.kinchla.com
Most likely this is a scam. There is one going around on craigslist, for example.
Where did you find the info about that rental?

Check out my blog post on the subject:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/2268942/is-is-too-good-to-be…
That is not appropriate. Do not give anyone any money.
Sounds like a scam to me. If something makes you uncomfortable use common sense....RUN!!
Usually the price is way lower than what it would rent for. Why would you give money to someone to rent an apartment you have never seen? I have heard stories of people showing up on doorsteps of people's homes for sale. His home would rent for 1400 a month and the guy was going to pay 700 a month and had wired the money. No credit check, down payment, first last security.
This kind of scam happens everyday.
definetly a scam!

you, probably, found the ad on some website. many websites, like craigslist, have a simple button you can click to report it to stop the scam.
Web Reference: http://www.boc-re.com