Rentals in San Antonio>Question Details

Angela Street, Renter in Canyon Lake, TX

HI, looking for a 2-3 bedroom house in a GOOD neighborhood- north. I have 2 GSD's and we are having a nightmare of a time trying to find a place.

Asked by Angela Street, Canyon Lake, TX Mon Aug 12, 2013

Answers

7
Hello Ms. Angela Street,

The principle reason that "GSD's" are a problem is because of there classifications with insurance companies. The risk factor of law suits associated with "GSD's" is very high and some companies will not provide property coverage at all. The other factor is because of their size.

For all of those who are lost--GSD's (German Sheppard Dogs) are found in various lists of dogs classified as aggressive and dangerous. This means that property owners who want to insure their homes as rental homes must prohibit aggressive breeds or pay very high premiums for such coverage (if they can find a carrier that will). This breed is also seen as a large dog which is a greater risk just due to size. This is also why property management groups will not accept applications or disqualify applications when they find out that the applicant have a GSD or GSD's as pets.
In those that do accept GSD's it is on a case-by-case basis.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but historical risk factors have been the contributor to such determination by insurance companies. The percentage of property management companies and owners that allow renters to rent is getting fewer and fewer. It is a very hard process and expensive even for those that get approved. The only answer is to buy a property that is large enough and fenced. Even then, insurance is higher if they find out that you have "GSD's."

Gerry White
Angela..what is a GSD? I am assuming dogs? Rentals are difficult in that area, there are a lot of manufactured homes and such. It may take a little time but with patience I am certain we could find you something.Please feel free to contact me directly.
Katy Morris 210-845-4194
Im looking all over at this point. Not just Canyon Lake.
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
I will have a darling 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1600 sf garden home, in Hunters Creek, which is an excellent address, available as of 15 August at $1500 per month. Two car garage, two living areas. I don't know what a GSD is, but typically, we require a credit score of 600 or better, and income of $4500 per month to qualify. If you are inclined to pursue this, please feel free to contact our offices for a showing.

Anita Reeves
Amberson Realty
210/590-9101
Need specific information to help you.
Angela,
I would check the local paper the Hill Country Voice and a also the MLS system with an agent. What price range were you looking for a month? I dont do rentals, but I dont mind sending you what is available in Canyon Lake. Here is what is in MLS currently up to 1K per month.

$550 334 Spanish Oak Dr Comal ISD Lakeview Height
$675 747 Buckingham Dr Comal ISD Rolling Hills Estates
$800 1211 Sorrel Creek Dr Comal ISD Hancock Canyon
$850 1872 Lakeview Dr Comal ISD Canyon Lake Hills
$850 174 Buckhorn Dr Comal ISD
$875 254 Valleyview St Comal ISD Canyon Lake MH Ests.
$950 1086 Peach Tree Comal ISD Sattler Village
$950 1256 Cougar Dr Comal ISD Cougar Ridge Condos
$1,000 1625 Blue Water Dr Comal ISD RUST TR, RUST ACRES
$1,000 1226 Cougar Dr Comal ISD Cougar Ridge
I can help you with finding a home. Call or email me anytime 210-978-4610 | mr.prealty@live.com
Can you be more specific? Please call me to find a way to help you.
(210) 455-7635
Thanks!