Rentals in Sunpark>Question Details

Jeffrey, Renter in Santa Monica, CA

HI, I am looking for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment for around 1500$ a month, where is the best area to start looking? I'd like to be 7 miles from UCLA

Asked by Jeffrey, Santa Monica, CA Tue Jul 23, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Sunpark

Answers

4
Jeffrey,
Unfortunately you are going to be very hard-pressed to find a 2 BR place for that price near UCLA. Even when I graduated from UCLA over 10 years ago, finding something for that price would have been near impossible. My suggestion would be to do one of three things:
-- Increase the price you are willing to pay for an apartment
-- Increase the distance you are willing to travel
-- Look for roommates to split costs, where you can get into a 3- or 4-BR place, and have the same net cost

If none of these are options, I would suggest looking on Craigslist for something that fits your criteria. Also, you could drive the neighborhoods looking out for For Rent signs, and hope the price is within budget.

Finally, check out my website, and see how you can get $1,000's for school tuition - http://www.homes4schools.com - if you know anyone looking to buy or sell a home in the near future.

Feel free to get in touch with any more questions, or if you need further assistance.

Alan Kurpiewski, Realtor®
CA BRE 01912043
(619) 35-HOUSE
(619) 354-6873
http://www.homes4schools.com
homes4schools@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 23, 2013
Good afternoon Jeffrey,

I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business; you don’t sit at a table in a restaurant to read the menu without actually buying food at some point. It’s the same concept: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. Prepare yourself with three fundamentals: amenities, location, and price.

Know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND an AGENT” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment.

TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, now you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step ahead of a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Hi Jeffrey, I suggest you look at Palms (near the Overland & Venice area) It is a short drive to UCLA via Westwood blvd and you can find rentals in that price range. - Conrad
Jeffrey,

You can try West Los Angeles or Santa Monica. Have you tried joining Westside Rentals? That may be a good source for you. Contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Elizabeth Sorgen
310-469-0500
broker@SorgenIntl.com