Rentals in Riverside>Question Details

Julie, Renter in Riverside, CA

Found a house to rent in Riverside on Trulia, back & forth by email, sounds great. Then I'm asked to wire &. Then we drive out to see

Asked by Julie, Riverside, CA Sun May 26, 2013

the home & there are people living in it, say they've been there 2 weeks. To what authorities do I report this attempt at theft? Still looking for nice small affordable house!

Help the community by answering this question:


Also report it to the District Attorney's office. I'm sorry that happened to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 27, 2013
To report this obvious scam so Trulia can take the listing down - you can click on "help center" at the bottom right of the page and email them........can also call
888- 466-3501

Glad you didn't wire any money - that's a big red flag, along with a rental amount that seems too good to be true!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 26, 2013
Julie, if you want to continue to be a good investigative reporter.... :).............see if that listing appears on Craigslist, too.

There is a system in place to report it there, and they remove those scams, if you see it and report it - you will help some other unsuspecting person so they won't be caught up in the scam.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 27, 2013

I bet that you can review the email exchange that you had with the pretend landlord and you will see what you will now identify as some red flags. It is fortunate that you did not wire funds. Rental ads for rents that are way below market are the first sign that the offering might be a scam. Stories from the “owner” that attempt to justify the low rent are the next sign. A request to wire money – and get keys in return – is the last sign that you are dealing with a scammer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 27, 2013
This is a common scam that first appeared on Craigslist and has migrated to Trulia and other sites where anyone can post a home for rent. Be very cautious with anyone who won't meet you in person or have a licensed agent assist them.
Debbie gave you great advice, report them and flag the listing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 26, 2013
Hi Julie, you can past the information on to the Fed tip line. When looking to rent a home you should use a Licensed Real Estate Agent or Property Management Company to assist you.

Thanks, Lisa Buchanan
Prudential California Realty
(951) 757-2815
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 26, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer