Rentals in Portland>Question Details

Tiffany Ganir, Renter in Portland, OR

First time Renter- Help.

Asked by Tiffany Ganir, Portland, OR Mon Apr 21, 2014

Hello, I am looking for a house or apartment to rent by the middle of August. I am not from the Portland area so I wanted to know if getting a pre approval is suggested or common ? I just want to make sure that I'm able to get a place to stay. Any comments or suggestions would be extremely helpful, thank you.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Portland

Answers

3
One extra step you should take as you are talking to the point of contact for any rental, is make sure they are the true owner or Property Manager for the property. There have been scams lately where someone uses information for properties listed for sale and posts those pictures and descriptions to seek people looking to rent. They then take an application and deposit (getting your personal info and $), then they disappear. Just be aware of who you share information with.
Pre-approval for rentals is not required. The landlord will want to check your credit score, income and previous references. If those are in good shape you should be fine.
You don't need a pre-approval to rent, just to buy. You should be just fine without one.