Rentals in Santa Ana>Question Details

fakeone15, Renter in Santa Ana, CA

Fairview Green Apartments are roach infested! They do no keep up with their maintenance and parking is horrible!! and will not return deposit !!

Asked by fakeone15, Santa Ana, CA Thu Jan 10, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental-community/9000047117/Fairview-G…

Answers

7
Sounds like you have a few agencies you can report this to:

Orange County Health Department is one you should report the pest control problem to

If they have unlawfully kept your deposit contact legal aid they can assist you with landlord tenant disputes.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
You can also go to the housing department and complain.,....also if they have not provided a statement regarding your deposit, you can take them to court....small claims court....I would not hesitate to take them to court about your deposit....also there is the better business bureau and Scambook online for lodging complaints...
Thanks for all of your advice i do know of all my rights and unfortunately i am not he only person that the rental property has done this to. I know off at least three other families who have left their apartments the same as they moved in, and none of them received there deposit back! At this point I'm just exhausted. My furniture has been ruined, kitchen supplies infested I'm just glad to be done with them!! All i can do is really warn people. Be cautious please. Ask around, ask the neighbor's.
i lived there for one year, the apartment was practically brand new when i moved out. literally no damage to the apartment i left cleaner then it was when i moved it. they have given me so much problems. i never got it back they kept the money.
Hi fakeone15, When did you ask for the deposit? If their is no damage or extra cleaning needed then you were entitled to your deposit.
Sorry to hear that the complex has problems and that you had a bad experience when you moved out. The agent below is half correct, by California law they need to return your security deposit within 21 days with an accounting of anything that they kept. If you gave them a 30 day notice when you were moving out, then you also were entitled to a premove out inspection which would have told you everything that needed to be done in order to get your deposit back. If you did not take advantage of this then you probably have little recourse. I hope that you have found a much better place to live and will be very comfortable there.
Hi
Did they give you an accounting of your deposit? By law, they have to do that and they have 11 days to do it. So, all you have to do is take them to small claims court....you can go online and file against them. Make sure you have your cancelled check, rental agreement etc. Once they are served, they will cough up the deposit.....unless there are other circumstances like cleaning, damages etc. They will not want to go to court since the courts usually take the side of the tenant... You cannot use the roaches or poor maintenance as leverage.....

Linda
LUKAS PROPERTIES
714-381-1723