Rentals in New York>Question Details

brian weadick, Renter in New York, NY

Ever asked by an owner who lives abroad to pay a deposit via Western Union. just to get a key from a realtor in NY to view the apt - thru realtor.com?

Asked by brian weadick, New York, NY Mon Dec 2, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Answers

9
Scams do exist, and you may have stumbled upon one; for scam related information see link http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm Do not send any money....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 3, 2013
Scam, report it and do not do it. Scam.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 3, 2013
This is a scam. Real Estate professionals never ask for a deposit for keys. They will lie and try to convince you that their story is real. I had a situation where the owner needed a deposit for the keys and a realtor from realtor.com would then show me the apartment and that they have done this in the past and it works well. They gave me a story about their daughter going to school here in the US so they purchased the property but she has now finished and they wish to rent. They never replied to me when I told them that I was a licensed professional and asked for their realtors information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 3, 2013
Brian...................................NO- NO- NO.............................. don't do it!!!!!!

it's a scam!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of scam listings online...on all sites!!!!!

They use REAL listing photos but hijack them (cut and paste them to a fake listing). Then they make the rental price seem too good to be true - too low - that's because it IS NOT true - it's a scam.

They tell you some story about being out of town, out of state or country..........that's why they say they can't show you the home!
Some of the stories can be very creative as they are very sneaky and big liars! Some give you sob stories or say how lucky they are to have found you, and they only want someone to love the house like they do......etc.

They may ask you to fill out an "application" and ask personal information.

In any event...........they ask you to WIRE MONEY for KEYS!

Do NOT do that..........it's a scam.
Run in the opposite direction.

Before paying anyone anything.............Find a local agent to verify you're dealing with the legitimate owner.

Best wishes..................
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Thanks sally!!
I appreciate the vote of confidence!!

and ditto!!
Flag Mon Dec 2, 2013
Debbie, you are the best!
Flag Mon Dec 2, 2013
Scam. Run from this one as fast as you can
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
The owner also has a bridge for sale.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
And the answer is.... Scam!

And let me guess,,, it's a amazing price, that you will lose if you don't send the money immediately. And it's a great price because... it's not real!

I once dealt with a buyer that was making an All Cash offer on a home that I was the listing agent for. She was a social worker for special needs kids and her story was that she was engaged and her future husband's parents were buying the house as a gift. Except that there was always a delay with the funds. When she showed me the paperwork, i had a friend verify the bank ID number, It was a scam, and the engagement story was the "cover" the scammers gave her. They can be very persuasive.

Bottom line; its's a scam, don't believe their stories, deal with a legitimate real estate agent and ask for a copy of their license.

Good Luck,

David Callaghan
Keller Williams Landmark Realty
32-55 Francis Lewis Blvd
Bayside, NY 11365
It's a scam! Do NOT pay the deposit by Western Union. The agent should be showing you the apartment. The. There's no need for you to have the key.
When dealing with any agent you should make sure to go to their office. If they won't bring you to their office then something is suspect. Brokers are required to display their license. And we as agents or associate brokers have pocket licenses that we are supposed to carry with us. If an agent or broker won't show you their license then leave them.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Marilyn Mayers
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Halstead Property, LLC
mmayers@halstead.com
212.381.3211
http://www.halstead.com/real-estate-agent/marilyn-mayers
It's a scam- don't do it. Find a reputable broker to help with your search and avoid scams.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. My e-mail is esmith@kianrealtynyc.com.