Rentals in Saint Paul>Question Details

Pader Yang, Renter in Executive Series At...

Equal housing does that also include for those with a felon but has a stable job and in need for equal home renting with good credit?

Asked by Pader Yang, Executive Series At Twin Cities, Galt, CA Tue Feb 5, 2013

Answers

7
I'm sorry. I must have over looked the question. A felon is not a protected class and a landlord may decide to deny your application because of it; however if you are interested in buying a home than the playing field will be even. No one needs to know if you have a felony or not and if you can't get a traditional mortgage to buy than I have another option for you that many people are not aware of. Please call me for details! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
i am ex offness in 1995 and we buy home, my email is williams.eddie58@yahoo.come please send me message thank you
Flag Thu Aug 21, 2014
Felons are not protected under the Fair Housing Act. Here is the part of the act you are asking about:

In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (disability):

Refuse to rent or sell housing
Refuse to negotiate for housing
Make housing unavailable
Deny a dwelling
Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
Provide different housing services or facilities
Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
Web Reference: http://www.mywra.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
Felons are not a protected class under the Fair Housing Act. You can read about it here - http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fai…

A criminal background is definitely something that a landlord can use in denying an application if they so choose. Hopefully you will find a landlord that can look at your current situation to make their decision - they are out there.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2013
Yes! Thats correct! What areas r u looking? I have some great programs for you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
Hatim do your programs apply to those with less than perfect credit?
Flag Fri May 10, 2013
I am looking in Ramsey County.
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Thank You all so much... I'm very very thankful for these answers to my question. My boyfriend is felon but he also has a stable job. I on the other is not a felon but currently enrolled in school at the moment. So thank you to all of these answers they're really helpful.
No prob take care Pader!
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013
Hi, Pader!
Yes, this is true, moreso in renting than in purchasing. And, it's even true in some purchases with association maintained housing.

It does seem unfair, but it is legal. I would explore some of the alternatives described in the answers below. It seems there are programs that might work for you!!!

I wish you all the luck~
Thanks for giving me more hopes. Please let me know if you do find programs that will help me.
Flag Fri Feb 8, 2013
Yea I pretty much agree with everything below me. It is a tough situation, because Minnesota is a real hot rental market right now. I work with a lot of landlords, and many times they will not accept those with a criminal background. That is because there is so little supply they can find someone else.

However, in the end the whole picture is looked at. You are not ever automatically disqualified as a tenant because of this. Great credit and stable income is a plus! If you are looking at single family rentals the company with the largest market share is renters Wherehouse. I would call them up and just ask what their viewpoint is. Sometimes the best thing to do is just talk with some of the big leasing companies to get a feel for what the market is doing. I think you will get a more direct answer, because most of us on Trulia are just realtors.

As another broker stated there are options for buying like rent-to-own or contract for deed opportunities if you are interested in buying, but you cannot obtain traditional financing. Even in this scenario a down payment is required, and you will still have to deal with the felony.

I honestly don't know enough information to bring clarity and tell you what I personally believe is the best option. If you want I will give you an un-biased suggestion just get in contact with me.

Otherwise good luck Pader!

~Chris