Rentals in 33175>Question Details

Vargas083031, Renter in 33175

Does florida have a rental tax that tenants have to pay monthly ?

Asked by Vargas083031, 33175 Fri May 21, 2010

Hi I'm about to sign a 12 month lease on a rental but it says that I have to pay 7% tax of the rental monthly price is that true? This is the first time that I see this and I'm afrid they are trying to charge me more for the rental. Thanks any help would be appreciated

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in 33175

Answers

8
If you are signing a 1 year lease you do not have to pay tax, that is only for 6 months or less stays.. Do make sure your lease is in writing and that both parties have signed it....
If the landlord tries to tell you differently, I suggest you look for another place.... I hope this was some help to you...

My best Regards....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 27, 2010
Yes, Sales tax 7% goes on top on your monthly payment.
The question is if the landlord will report that tax to the State of Florida. You may need to call the State Dept of Revenue to make sure the landlord is collecting and paying the tax. Otherwise is an increase on the price.
Regards
Miguel Soria
REmax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 21, 2010
Not correct. No rental tax if renting for a year
Flag Mon Jan 12, 2015
Sales tax would only be due on a rental that is less than six months. If you are signing an annual lease than no sales tax should be charged. Make sure the lease is in writing. Here is documentation from the Florida Department of Revenue. I think the landlord is misinformed or trying to pull a fast one. Click the link below.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2009/gt800034.pdf

Good luck and hope this helps.

Jason Stevens, GRI,ABR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 21, 2010
Thanks for the link!
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
Less than 6 months = Yes
6 months + 1 day = No
Rental Tax is typically only due when you lease for less than 6 months.
Only for rentals that are considered short term rentals: six months or less.
Properties that are rented for less than 6 months are taxed as transient dwellings, just like hotels, at 13%. Most get around that by signing a lease for 6 months and 1 day.

There should be no tax on a property that is rented for longer. Even is special situations, like the rental is really a hotel, 7% sounds wrong to me. I would be wary.

Feel free to contact me if I can help you find somewhere else.
Web Reference: http://www.dkrealtor.com
As anyone would suggest Refer to a tax speicalist. But the state tax states that rentals less than 7months are to be taxable. So you are clear and you can ask the landlord to show you proff that he/she has pays State Sales tax since that is an extra step that businesses have to undergo.