Rentals in Astoria>Question Details

Roxanne, Renter in Astoria, NY

Does anyone have any info on Sterling Realty? I was working with them today, however I cannot seem to find anything online about the company?

Asked by Roxanne, Astoria, NY Thu Sep 20, 2012

It seems strange that a rental agency has no website, no listings, etc. Curious to know if this is legit or not? Has anyone used them? Good/bad experience??

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Astoria

Answers

2
HORRIBLE experience. I dealt with Kirk. They are sneaky and liars.

I put down a deposit to "hold" the apartment from others viewing it. Not even 24 hours later I decided I changed my mind and wanted the refund back on the deposit. Kirk ignored every request I had for it and continued to push me towards taking it. Said he would try to renegotiate the rent, then offered to take off 400 of the brokers fee after not hearing from me. I proceeded to say sorry I'd like the refund back, he ignored me once again and tried to find a way to get me to take it.

It only went a day off the market and they now refuse to give me my deposit back after misleading me.

DO NOT deal with these guys as they are not looking out for you and your best interest and just want your money. They continue to pressure you into what you don't want.
Any deposit is normally not refundable if you are the one who changed your mind and not the landlord. It doesn't matter if it's within 24 hours. I'm an agent, I don't know about him but I always make people sign the disclosure stating above before taking the deposit. I worked with Kirk several times and he helped me rent one of my listing and he's always been helpful and professional. As a colleague, I can tell you that I highly doubt he did anything unethical.
Flag Thu Dec 6, 2012
Hey, I actually got an apartment through them a few weeks ago! They were very helpful and I recommended them to my friends, who are looking for an apartment with Sterling now, so hope it works out.