Rentals in New York>Question Details

Avi Wasserman, Renter in 10025

Does anybody know what will happen when I leave my apartment if I leave a few pieces of furniture inside? I've been a really good tenant paying

Asked by Avi Wasserman, 10025 Wed Oct 24, 2012

my rent on time & everything but I know it's going to be a hassle to get everything out. The only things I'll leave in my dresser, desk and living room chair. The stuff is in like-new condition so maybe the next tenant would want it anyway. I will leave the apartment otherwise squeaky clean. Do you think the landlord would try to hold my security? Can they do that legally?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Answers

12
Hey there Avi,

I concur with most of the agents here; NOT a good idea to leave anything behind unless you've already cleared it with the super that he knows someone who wants it or if you've made the landlord aware & they're okay with it. Only thing I'll add is my personal endorsement of http://www.freecycle.org --- their motto is "changing the world one gift at a time" and I think it's a great concept because what you don't want could very well be a true blessing to someone else in need. You'll be helping someone else out & at the same time fulfilling your obligation to leave your apt broom clean when you terminate your lease.

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
thanks everybody! I think i get the point now...

I guess it was a kind of selfish thought on my behalf.

Freecycle it is
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 26, 2012
good for you Avi. It's the right thing to do & what goes around comes around in life eventually :-)
Flag Sat Oct 27, 2012
Hello Avi,

As a professional property manager, I can tell you that it is highly likely you will get charged for leaving the furniture behind and then for the landlord to remove the furniture from the unit. Best thing to do is contact your landlord and ask if it's alright to leave those items, explain specifically which items will stay behind and get the landlord's approval in writing before you leave. Even the friendliest of landlords can change and "flip" overnight.

Also remember you always have options like Craigslist, where you can offer items up for free and places like the Salvation Army may even give you a tax deductible receipt for the donation. Hope this helps!
Obviously, these pieces are heavy and a hassle to remove. If it is a hassle for you, it is a hassle for someone else. You could ask the landlord if they want the pieces. If not, you need to remove them. I would say that if they need to hire someone to remove these pieces, they will deduct this expense from your security.

Cindy Anish
Associate Broker
Bellmarc Brokerage
canish@bellmarc.com
Hi, the landlord may charge you a removal fee and/or dumping as well. you should really notify them of this so there are no surprises.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Much will depend on your landlord and lease agreement, therefore why not simply ask him/her the question...
Avi, it depends on the landlord whether or not they will withhold some security deposit to cover the cost of removing the items you mentioned (which do sound large and heavy rather than insignificant and easy to move). My advice as a broker who has represented dozens of landlords is to remove them (or follow my colleagues suggestions and have a charity come and remove them). The landlord has an obligation to deliver the unit vacant to the next tenant so, unless the incoming tenant has made specific arrangements with both you and the landlord that those items are allowed to be left, the landlord will need to arrange for them to be removed (and thereby incur some costs which will be passed on to you!). Better to preserve your security deposit than risk it.
Charlie Summers, SVP, Bellmarc Downtown
Hello Avi. The best advise I could give you is to try to work out some arrangement with the Landlord. If the Landlord agrees that you can leave those items there, be sure to get it in writing.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
It's definitely not a good idea to leave your stuff behind. It's incredibly inconvenient for the landlord and simply not cool. The fact that you paid your rent on time is no justification for doing this on your way out.

What about Freecycle? Or the Free section on Craigslist? Or if all else fails call a company like 1-800GotJunk to haul it away.
I agree with Elana & Tim.

Regarding the possibility of the landlord withholding your security, it's possible. They may keep a portion of your security to pay for removing and/or discarding the furniture.
Talk to the building super - they usually do inspection before the tenant vacates - he may want some of your furniture or would know whom to give it to...
Why don't you look for a charity that will come pick up donated items that are big. Most towns big or small have them and you get a tax deduction for it -- it's a Win-Win for ya.