Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

Colette, Renter in Seatac, WA

Does anybody know an area cheap but safe for a couple of roommates just starting out? Were on a budget!

Asked by Colette, Seatac, WA Sat Jan 19, 2013

My friends and i are planning to move to the greater seattle area, and we just wanted to know if Seatac is a good place, or what other places are cheap and really good for their price! Thanks!!

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental-community/9000010833/Avion-Apar…

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

6
I've lied in West Seattle for 15 years. It is less than 15 minutes to the airport, downtown, and many other places with great shopping and things to do. My husband commuted from here to his job at Microsoft in Redmond for several years so even jobs on the Eastside are no impossible. You should live where you want to spend your free time. We have the beach, hiking, lots of things. 25% of the city's population lives in West Seattle and it is considered pretty affordable since many have a mental block because there is a bridge between it and other parts of the city. Don't let that stop you! If you would like an insider's viewpoint and someone with property management background to help you secure a rental in a safe area, give me a call.
Most of the Seattle/surrounding area is a pretty safe place to live. If you wish to live near Sea-Tac, Renton is a great community. There are more urban, amenity dense areas in Renton, as well as sleepy neighborhood areas. Traffic can be bad around here, and highway 900 connects Renton to Sea-Tac, making it convenient, safe, and nearby. If you have any questions or would like to see some samples of places in the area that would fit your need, please let me know. I can start at Sea-Tac and work my way out within however many miles you would like, and find several great properties to suit your needs. :-)

Thanks!

Vikki
In my opinion Shoreline is the best value for the money. Just North of Seattle with very good prices and a highly rated school district.
Hi Colette,

Try looking into West Seattle. There are nice safe areas that aren't too expensive, and there are a lot of new places being built there. A lot of younger people are choosing to live in West Seattle because its cheaper than being downtown, but still just a very short drive into the city...and West Seattle has a lot to do and everyone is nice. Try looking at apartments in the alaska junction or nearby there.
Do you know where you'll be working or going to school? I moved from Eastern WA to Des Moines (just south of Seatac ) when I was 22. I felt very save there but little night life there.
Seatac wouldn't be my first choice to live unless it was really close to work. First figure out where you'll be working/school and what your life style will be.
Please email me if you have any questions.

Saviya Rowland
Saviya.Rowland@coldwellbanker.com
In most cases, you'll find rental rates are lower outside of Seattle. There are several neighboring cities & towns that have a reputation for being safer, although I'm sure you're aware that crime is everywhere. Southwest of Sea-Tac is DesMoines, a sleepy little community adjacent to Puget Sound. East of Seattle, Issaquah provides easy access to Seattle and rentals are plentiful. North of Seattle you could consider Shoreline and Edmonds. A lot depends on where you will be working. As important as rents and crime is commuting time. Seattle ranks among the worst cities for commuting. So, pay attention to commutes. For general information about any community, try
CityData.com. Good luck!