Rentals in SoHo>Question Details

Jason, Renter in New York

Does a landlord have to provide a DBBN form post lease signing?

Asked by Jason, New York Sat Oct 29, 2011

I signed a lease reassignment starting October and have to leave NY for a job for a few months so I figured I'd sublet my apt for the time I was gone. I found a great subletter who informed me about the DBBN form. I was never furnished a copy of this report and have not seen any bedbugs in my apartment nor have I been bit since I've been here but my subletter is requesting one and I dont blame him because I'd like to know too. I've called and emailed the property manager but have yet to get her on the line to discuss this.

My question is, by law they have to provide the form to any new lease signed but if they didn't do they have to provide one post signing of the lease? If they refuse what options do I have? I've checked on bed bug registries and my building has come up but it was 2 years ago. Since they withheld the form and have been uncooperative in obtaining one what options are open to me?

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Forms/Rent/dbbn.pdf

Thanks in advance

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in SoHo

Answers

4
Marco Gomez’s answer
The short and ethical answer is YES. You signed an agreement and the
agent did their part in showing you the property. If the agent would
have tricked you, that would be a different story.

Marco Gomez
NY State Licensed Associate Broker
Realtor®
Keller Williams Landmark II
marco.gomez@gmail.com
Thanks so much for the info after almost two weeks of hounding them for it i finally got it.
New York City landlords must let prospective tenants know in writing if an apartment has suffered a bed bug infestation within the past year, or if there has been a bed bug problem in the building during that time. Existing renters still have no legal right to learn whether there is a bed bug problem in their building. This information is important to put pressure on lax landlords to take adequate steps to control the spread of bugs from apartment to apartment and so that renters can take their own precautions. While sellers must disclose a bed bug problem in their apartment if asked about it, buyers still have no legal right to learn, for example, whether there is a bed bug problem in the apartment next door or even a major infestation in the building. New York City Administrative Code § 27-2018.1, which the Governor signed into law on August 31, 2010, mandates that new residential tenants in New York City be given a one-year bed bug infestation history.
http://bedbugger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Tenant-Bed-B…
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
New York City Administrative Code § 27-2018.1, which mandates that new residential tenants in New York City be given a one-year bed bug infestation history, was signed into law on August 31, 2010. If you became a new tenant after that date, then you had to be given a 1 year DBBN at the lease signing. If you were a tenant before that date, the landlord was not required to provide this form post-lease signing.

However, no matter of the move in date, all tenants in New York have a legal right to a bedbug-free environment, as stated in New York City's Housing and Maintenance Code, Subchapter 2, Article 4, which specifically names bedbugs in the list of insects the landlord is legally obligated to eradicate.

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) lists bedbugs as a Class B violation, which means that they are considered hazardous and that the landlord has 30 days to correct the problem. The landlord must eradicate the infestation and keep the affected units from getting reinfested.

If a landlord fails to disclose bed bug history: Tenants can use the form DBB-N Tenant’s Complaint of Owner’s Failure to Disclose Bed Bug Infestation History/Notice and Order:
Tenants have to call 1-866-275-3427 or call/visit one of the borough offices to request a copy of the form; the form will be mailed to the tenant’s address.