Rentals in Santa Barbara>Question Details

Dee, Other/Just Looking in Santa Barbara, CA

Do you need a broker's license to run a vacation rental company in California?

Asked by Dee, Santa Barbara, CA Sat Sep 11, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Refer to Exceptions for License requirements in the CA Housing Site:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
Yes and no.
There must be a broker employed by the company, but either you can be the broker or you must hire one (there must be a "broker of record" filed with the state). I know many owners of property management companies who hire a broker rather than getting a license themselves. However, I don't recommend that. Better to have the expertise of a broker yourself if you are going to manage your company effectively.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 11, 2010
Hi Dee, please refer to the following:

"CHAPTER 3. REAL ESTATE REGULATIONS, Article 1. Scope of Regulation", Sections 10130/10131(b)
(Marked Page #21)

I am not a lawyer; however, my personal opinion is that you do need a Broker License.

Best, Steve
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 11, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer