Rentals in Sun City>Question Details

Linda, Renter in Hemet, CA

Do 55 plus communities ever waive the age requirements? I am a quiet 50 year old professional with a very modest housing budget.

Asked by Linda, Hemet, CA Fri Nov 2, 2012

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3085267856-28699-Murrieta-Rd-Su…

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Sun City

Answers

5
Hi Linda.

I suppose there are always exceptions but I have yet to find it in the Senior Communities I work. They are very strict and require proof of age before closing escrow to purchase a home. May I suggest that if you have your sites on a particular senior community do your homework first. Call the HOA and see how strict or flexible they might be.

Sherry Kotvis
Allison James Estates & Homes
951-315-3201
It is like waiting to turn 16 to drive, 18 to vote and 21 to ,....

You may possibly work this out if you have a cohabitor who is 55 or older. You will need to verify before you bank on it.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomes.biz
http://www.socalhomes.biz
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
It really depends on the community. Just ask. Some will be strict, some won't. Good luck!
Hi Linda,

Yes, kind of, but it’s more accurate to say that senior housing developments fall under CA State and Local Fair Housing laws that introduce flexibility. Let me explain ….

The Unruh Civil Rights Act specifically allows for senior citizen accommodations by permitting discrimination against families with children (yes, you read that right) under the following terms and conditions:

1) Senior citizens are persons 55 or older in a senior citizen housing development. A younger spouse or COHABITANT may also reside in the senior housing development as long as they are a MINIMUM of 45 YEARS of age.

2) Senior citizen projects must have at least 35 to 150 units. The actual number a project must have is dictated on whether it is located in a "Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA) or not. If in a SMSA the project must be 150 or more units; if not, it must consist of no less than 35 units.

Note that the Unruh Act DOES NOT apply mobile home parks or developments as these fall under the more stringent requirements set forth under the federal Fair Housing Act of 1988, as amended.

So, technically, it sounds like you could become a roommate in a 55+ community if you find someone looking for a roommate.

-Steve
I'm 56 and live in a senior complex in the Riverside area, But I am looking for a room mate / COHABITANT as I'm presently wanting to move to the Menifee / Sun city area in a Seniors only Subdivision. So if anyone is interested and have a clean record, write me and lets see if we can work out something.
Dan info@eadmllc.com
Flag Sun Dec 22, 2013
To my knowledge, the 55+ communities can not legally change their age requirements. You can purchase when you are six months before your 55+ birthday.

If it's any consolation, there will come a day that you make it to 55 and can buy!