pattis, Renter in Colorado Springs, CO

Do people rent to families with 3 well behaved dogs, a nice house?

Asked by pattis, Colorado Springs, CO Sun Jan 20, 2013

Answers

6
Renting with any pets can be challenging, but especially when you have that many. I know...we have 3 dogs. Many property managers/owners will immediately say no without any consideration at all. You can eventually get some to bend and allow you in with a higher security deposit but the challenge is even getting to that step with them.

Here is what I recommend...Be Proactive:

1. Letter of recommendation. Don't just say "my dogs are great and never tear anything up". Have your current/previous landlords write a letter stating that your dogs did not cause any damage or disturb the neighbors.
2. Vaccination records. Provide copies of your pets vaccination records. Having this information readily available shows that you are a responsible pet owner.
3. Be open to regular inspections. Be upfront and offer to make yourself readily available for routine inspections. This will help to put a property manager/owner at ease that you are a responsible pet owner and have nothing to hide.
4. If you do all these things and still cannot find a nice home to rent...call Me. http://www.NewAgeSprings.com
I have found that if I go and see the place first,meet the landlord make sure I'm interested in renting there than mention I have a dog,usually the landlord will consider allowing dogs..I think meeting a person face to face helps.
Flag Sun Jul 13, 2014
Truthfully, it's not easy as you probably already know. More likely to find a rental opportunity in a rural setting for 3 dogs. However, perhaps you should consider buying a home instead. You will honestly pay more to rent a home today than you will to buy one. Opportunities to buy a home come with a 0 down payment for veterans or as little as $1,000 down payment for non-veterans. If you want to know more contact me at 719-321-7600 or cheryl@coloradospringsbesthomes.com. You might also be interested in the upcoming class - What You Need To Know To Buy A Home on January 30, 2013. The link to that class is below.
Thank you for the info. I am putting my house here in Maine on the market Feb 1st. I would like to move to Colorado Springs as soon as I sell my home. My son and DIL live in zip code 80906 and would like to live close to them. I have 3, 4 and 5 year old boxers, they are like my kids and must come with me. I thought I would rent a place until I find a FT RN position and have time to look for a home to buy. I have worked at the same job here since1998, but I don't think you can look for a Mortgage when you don't have a FT job yet. So this is my plan. Patty
Flag Mon Jan 21, 2013
Many landlords and property managers will only rent to a maximum of two dogs. If you find a place you like, you may offer to pay a bigger security deposit for 3 dogs. You may also want to have the landlord meet your dogs, as that may make a difference in having them make an exception.
Yes, you can find a nice home to rent that will allow 3 dogs, but it can be challenging. If you do find a Landlord that is pet friendly, sometimes they only allow a maximum of 2 dogs and not 3.

However, I do know of a nice rental home, with a nice fenced in backyard, that will be available in February. They will allow 3 dogs, provided they are not aggressive breeds. There is also a weight restriction as to how large the dogs can be. The home is located in Stetson Hills. If you have any interest, you can contact me and I can give you further information regarding the rent, deposit and the additional pet deposit that will be required.

Karen Coffman
Realteam Real Estate Center
719-648-8040
Do you have a budget? What area of town do you want to live? Have you considered a purchase? New bond money is available which offers 4% down payment and closing cost assistance. Does not require repayment and you do not have to be a first time home buyer. Great program for FHA & VA Buyers with minimum 620 credit scores. Let me know if you would like more details on this program and where you would like to live.
Where are you looking to rent? I have a rental n Falcon with a large back yard that will take dogs. Feel free to contact me @ 719-649-4515.

Catherine Brown-Swain
Properties of Colorado
719-649-4415