Rentals in Midwood>Question Details

megan.denise…, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

Do I need to tell my landlord I'm not renewing my lease?

Asked by megan.denise.w, Brooklyn, NY Wed Aug 7, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Midwood

Help the community by answering this question:


Megan, Yes you should tell your landlord in writing and also give a 30 day notice of your move.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 8, 2013
HI Megan

Its the right thing to do, your lease might have a clause that would cover that and how it should be handled but you might want to ask a lawyer since that could be a legal issue, there are some that might say you should give a 30 days notice of non renewal

Thanks felix
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 8, 2013
Review your lease as the answer more than likely can be found in the document; but why not notify your landlord...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 8, 2013
Dear megan.denise.w:

It all depends on what is written into your lease. You may need to have a lawyer answer that question for you. With that, I am curious as to why you wouldn't just let the landlord know regardless?

Are you going to be looking for another place to live in Brooklyn? If so, maybe I can help you. Feel free to contact me direct any time. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
It would be a good idea to tell your landlord that you are not renewing your lease not only because it is the nice thing to do, but also it will give him a chance to make plans to do what he has to do in order to get it ready for the new tenant. If you want to be a little savvy, you can negotiate to get a couple days, weeks or even the month for free plus getting back your deposit. Most landlords in Brooklyn are happy when an old tenant moves out because it means they are allowed to charge more for rental income. I hop this helps!

If you have any Realtor friends, give them the heads up that the apartment will be vacant as they may want to rent it for the Landlord. If not, you can always refer the landlord to me and I will be happy to take of you and the landlord!

Have a good day!

My name is Kevin Royer and you can reach me at 212-920-9604 if you have any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 7, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer