Rentals in San Antonio>Question Details

Michael Sanm…, Renter in San Antonio, TX

Do I list a service dog as a pet?

Asked by Michael Sanmarco, San Antonio, TX Thu Apr 11, 2013

I am looking for a 3 bedroom house that allows pets in the 800 price range, I have a dog and a cat but my wife also requires an x-large breed service dog ( Hers is a mastiff ) do I need to look for something that allows large breed pets or does the fact that she is a service dog nullify the need to list her as a pet?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3067055235-14522-Woods-Hole-Dr-…

Answers

3
According to the ADA, a service animal is NOT a pet. You may want to list him just to make sure that you are complying with the any code set forth by the landlord, but like Cassandra said, he should be covered under fair housing and american disabilities act.
he may well be a working pet, but your Mastiff will absolutely qualify as a pet on any application. He has needs to be met, just like the other members of your household, and its only fair that he get a space adequate to allow him yard space and house space. Some properties have associations that limit the number of animals, or the size of animals, and the homeowner will be obliged to work within the limitations set out by the association bylaws. If you don't declare the Mastiff, you may find yourself in a situation after moving in - better to resolve it before spending time and money getting into your new place.
If the dog is certified, he should be covered under fair housing and american disabilities act. I would still be forth coming with the rental company.

Depending on the state laws, they are still usually able to require that you pay for any/all damages including if they feel there is pet odor in the carpet.

Good luck and double check the local laws on ADA. Whoever you got the certification with the dog should be able to helpo you with this.

If he is Not certified, they may not have to recognize him.