Rentals in Deland>Question Details

Karenleahny, Home Buyer in 13903

Deland, FL: Where are the "good" neighborhoods & where are the bad?

Asked by Karenleahny, 13903 Tue Jan 15, 2013

Im relocating from NY to Deland, sight unseen. I want to rent a singlefamily home & trying to keep my cost to under 1k/month. Trulia shows soo many choices! Are there areas I should try to avoid? ThankU in advance:)

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Deland

Answers

12
As a Realtor it may be difficult to answer your question. As a retired law enforcement officer, it would be very easy. It sounds as though you are not ready to buy at the moment. Safety is important to everyone, but especially to people who currently live alone.

Many Realtors are afraid to give you an assessment of different neighborhoods. Our code of ethics does not prevent us advising you of what happens in a neighborhood. It does restrict what we can tell you based on the demographics of the residents - but that is all. Safe is a relative term and some neighborhoods you may feel uncomfortable in, but I may think are fine.

If safety and avoiding crime are important to a buyer, I do not hesitate to point things out about a neighborhood. I believe as a Realtor it is important to know what happens in each neighborhood by looking at the crime stats. I provide factual information to buyers and they decide whether the neighborhood fits the way they want to live and/or raise a family. Not feeling safe is a horrible reason to have to sell a house and move - I would never wish that on anyone and would endeavor to avoid it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
yes, avoid over by bearsford, vorhis, hill and adelle. a home on these streets is in the projects. glenwood is a good area, basically west of 15a is all nice. daytona park estates is pretty quiet too but those houses have well water and its got sulfer. but rent there is decent. i moved from long island to deland about 12 years ago and bought a home here. no regrets. but it does have its bad areas. good luck :)
This is an honest response and unfortunately realtors don't provide this type of information.
Flag Sat Jan 18, 2014
Karenleahny,
I was just looking in Deland as a possible area for investment properties. I was actually looking at a 3/2 house on a 1/2 acre. I would consider purchasing a home and letting you fix it up, as you would like, and give you a lease option to purchase it. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please let me know. Hopefully we can work out a solution that would be mutually beneficial. Email me at: iaginvesting@gmail.com. Thanks!
Holy smokes SORRY for the length of my last post!! I had no idea but cant see a way to fix it since Im typing from my phone:(
Thank you, Mr. Hanner. Safety/local crime were what I originally meant when I posed my initial querry. Previous responders were immensely helpfull by posting links to crime stats; you've helped me to clarify & wrap up my concerns. Property crimes do seem to be one of the downsides to living in Deland, but arent all that worrisome to me.
My (amazing) grandmother built her home in 1950's Miami, & growing up I spent most of my summers there. She had a HUGE plot of land that ran behind approx. 6! houses, til the end of the street where there was a church. She had various fruit groves, citrus orchards, palms & coconut, etc. I loved it. Over the years, the neighborhood grew more & more urbanized & she was forced to sell parts of the property (for financial reasons)-- yet right til the end, her land remained an oasis in the middle of the urban jungle. I vowed years ago that once my kids were out of school & on their own, I would sort of take her place & become the sanctuary for my own family.
Of course none of that is probably germain to this discussion --except that she had been robbed so many times that she joked about putting a sign on the front door saying"You've already cleaned me out, Nothing left of value!" I remember one occasion when a person of ill intent was casing the house & went to investigate the backyard jungle. My grandmother had been trying to restore some order in the pineapple grove & when she saw this stranger approaching, raised up from behind some bushes, her trusty machete in hand. The guy took one look & high-tailed it the heck out of there :) The week she died (at 98yrs old) she was STILL using that machete to maintain her groves!
Anyway, my new question is does FL have anything there like the land contracts we have in New York? As previously mentioned, I highly doubt I could qualify for a mortgage. However, I do have a steady (tho modest) monthly income, & when my divorce is finalized, I will also have a healthy lumpsum which I anticipate will be in the 30k range. Also as previously stated, Im looking to keep my total monthly housing costs topped at 1k. Can anyone tell meif my hopes for finding such a property is reasonable?
I should also mention that Ive helped build the home Im now leaving, done numerous remodels/rehab projects on my own, & might actually prefer to find a home with similiar need, versus one in turnkey condition where I wont be allowed to even dare suggest any changes at all to the owner. Also, the almost stereotypical stucco house with florida room and carport that Ive heard despaired would be my ideal.( My grandmother's was pink)!
Thank you again soo much.
:)
Umm not sure why Im listed as a buyer? I think I need to change that if someone can point me to it..
Thank you for your replies & youre all correct in your ethics! Ive just never thought in those terms before, probably because Ive never used a realtor. Im glad to have you all point out my error.
Im a single female with a moderate self income so employment opps are unimportant. (Im an artist).I love to garden & being able to do so -even in a rental- is actually #1 of my criteria. I want to be, say, no more than an hours drive from a quiet beach. I chose Deland because it appears to be nearly surrounded by nature parks & preserves. Thats very important to me. When I 1st began my search, I used the term "old Florida" & Deland came up repeatedly in the engines. In short, I need a at least 2-brm stand-alone house that I can make into my home, with a yard that I can turn into a beautiful, peaceful, & vibrant jungle. I cant qualify for a mortgage but something like a land contract would be ideal. Thank you in advance!
Hi, You can visit http://www.HomeFair.com and click on the city reports section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. Other options would be http://www.SpotCrime.com and http://www.CrimeReports.com

Chris
Karen,

As a Realtor it is unethical and unlawful to steer you away from some neighborhoods and toward others. Tell me what things are important to you, ie., good schools, close to interstate, close to major shopping, etc. Tell me a bit about the way you enjoy living and I can suggest areas that have the things you desire. Hope this is helpful. Also you can always go online to search for crime statistics per neighborhood.
Hi Karenleahny, Call the police for the areas of your interest or search on line. As a Realtor I am not at liberty to discuss good or bad neighborhoods.
Karen, Real Estate Agents are not allowed to say what area's may be good, or bad due to our Code of Ethics. I would suggest doing some online research to find out more about the area you are looking at. You can find out a lot of information on schools online,as well as crime rates, and anything else you are interested in. If you have a new job there, you can also ask co-workers etc about the area.
Best of luck!
We can't answer a question like that. Good and bad are up to you to decide. What I feel is awful you might find desirable. As Realtors we do not steer buyers to areas, we show and you decide.