Rentals in Walnut Creek>Question Details

Stephanie, Renter in Walnut Creek, CA

Currently looking for a reasonably priced single-family 2bd home in Walnut Creek for April 2013... with little luck so far!

Asked by Stephanie, Walnut Creek, CA Sat Feb 16, 2013

Hello! We currently live locally in an apartment, but looking to upgrade to our first home with a yard... so we can get a dog (so pets allowed is a must!) Also, hoping for it to be a two bedroom, with at least 1.5 bath. I work downtown WC while my boyfriend BARTs into the city, so ideally close to a BART station.... seems like everything close to downtown is VERY expensive. So please let me know if you hear of anything that might work for us :) Much appreciated.

Also, open to Condo/townhome/duplex as long as there is a yard and parking for two vehicles....

Answers

10
Michelle Saputo’s answer
Ahhhh...ok, perfect! The rental market is also tight right now, especially in Walnut Creek :) Depending on the size of your furry friend, there are places available...BE CAREFUL searching on craigslist (still the best place to find a rental IMO - but an agent can help you with this too). There is a scam that has resurfaced recently, goes something like this: the house is vacant, the "owner" is "out of town" but you should drive by to see if you like it. If you do, they will get you started on the paperwork and MAIL YOU THE KEYS because they are not available to show it to you personally. Usually the rent is extremely low (ridiculously so) so it is tempting. Often, you will drive by and see that the property is actually for sale. Bottom line, if it seems too good to be true, it is.
I would welcome the opportunity to assist you! Servicing the East Bay of San Francisco providing rentals properties for over 25 years, I have a good selection of condos/townhomes & single family homes available. Please call me with your specific needs and we will can get started on locating your new home! DeAnn J Simpson 925/974-SOLD (7653)
There is not much in Walnut Creek at the moment but we can do a search with your criteria.
Thank you for all the wonderful responses. I just want to clarify that we are looking to rent not purchase a home quite yet. I will keep all this in mind for future reference, however at this current point in time we are merely looking for a clean reasonably priced rental.
Hello Stephanie,

If you are starting to look at getting your first home I would echo the comments of the folks below. I am a loan officer and I can help to get your boyfriend and yourself pre-qualified for a loan that fits your needs. There is no cost to do this and it sets you up to start looking within your means. It will also prove to agents you are serious about purchasing a home.

There have been some new changes announced to the FHA (Federal Housing Administration) loan program, which is geared toward fist time home buyers. The new changes are set to take effect April 1st and will make the loan more expensive due to changes to the FHA's mortgage insurance regulations.

I say the above to bring it to your attention and give you a shot at getting in before the regulations kick in (if FHA is the best fit for you and your boyfriend). Feel free to give me a call and I would be happy to talk about Walnut Creek, which is where I grew up and live.

925.705.5115
Hi Stephanie,

The first question would be what is your maximum price, which would be determined by your pre-approval amount for a loan (unless you are paying cash of course). This would then dictate what you can afford and therefore what properties and what location you would be able to purchase in.

So, rather than starting out by focusing on an area that you may or may not be able to afford, you should focus on properties and a location that you can afford, based on your pre-approved amount.

This will help narrow down your search. As you know by now, inventory is very low and demand is very high, so I tell my clients two things are required in this market - patience and persistence.

Craig Lawler
Hi Stephanie,

Inventory is low and rates are great right now so property is moving pretty quickly these days. This is causing prices to increase in our local markets however, compared to 2007 many of the homes are still a great deal.

The big question for you would be what is a reasonable price? You first need to find out what kind of loan you can qualify for and if that is in align with what you want to spend. Once you have determined what you can spend I can easily show you what is available in your price range in Walnut Creek and/or other communities that may fit your criteria.

If you have questions about the home buying process or need any help feel free to contact me.

Gregg De La Cruz
J. Rockcliff Realtors

See my recommendations: at http://www.trulia.com/profiles/gregg
The market is moving very quickly for what you are looking for. There are a lot of buyer's looking to take advantage of relatively lower prices, favorable interest rates and the spring buying season upon us. You want to be prepared to compete with many people at this time. Let me know if I can help.

Bryce Schumacher
Pacific Union Intetnational
Hi Stephanie, there is little inventory in Contra Costa right now (70% less than last year), so Buyer's are having a very difficult time finding places to buy. You would be doing yourself a favor to work with a Realtor that knows the neighborhood you want to live in...often, in this market we are putting deals together BEFORE the property goes on the MLS. I'd be happy to sit and talk with you, or ask your friends and family for a good recommendation of a local, experienced agent they have worked with before. Fell free to contact me with any questions! Michelle michelle.saputo@bhghome.com