Rentals in San Francisco>Question Details

LM, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Credit report including score brought to an open house?

Asked by LM, San Francisco, CA Thu Aug 2, 2012

My husband and I are looking to relocate to San Francisco (I have a job offer worth moving for). Perusing Craigslist I see most rentals require a credit report incl. score ... how does one get this? I've received my report before, but no score.

In a related matter — while my husband's credit is excellent (and we use it for everything), mine is blemished from long ago. Typically we leave my credit out of the equation. Should we continue to do this?

Answers

5
Jim Simms’ answer
I wouldn’t give a copy of my credit report to anyone, if they can’t pull it they shouldn’t have it. Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 2, 2012
MyScreeningReport.com - this tenant screening company allows the applicant to initiate the tenant screening process by creating their own account and ordering their comprehensive tenant screening report. Reports are thorough (including credit report AND score). Because these reports are applicant initiated, they are a "soft inquiry" on your credit report - meaning it does not negatively affect your credit score. MSR reports are portable - you can share them with one or more landlords (for 30 days) at no additional cost to you. What's more, reports are shared through a highly secure sharing platform that requires applicants & landlords to authenticate prior to accessing.

MyScreeningReport.com offers a secure way for applicants to share their tenant screening reports with prospective landlords without jeopardizing sensitive information.
You can use http://www.tenantopia.com to fill out a rental application, print it, and take it with you to open houses. Their rental applications are great because they don't require your bank account information or social security number. And for the credit check and FICO score it is only $15. Best of luck with the all your future property searches and applications.
Whenever someone gives me a credit report, I place it into my confidential file and then I run my own credit report on the person who gave me a credit report.

It's not neccessary for you to bring your credit report because any good real estate or rental agent will do their own credit checks which will probably have more info than your own credit report.

Also, it's not a good idea to leave your credit info to just anyone until you know who you are dealing with; when you decide on an apartment, then and only then, should you give your confidential info after you know who the landlord is and so forth.

Peter T. Chin Realtor #01866332
415-863-7500 office
When I am renting a unit I gather the applications for the primary review/screening, working with the owner. They pick the applicants that are the best qualified and we ask those applicants to get a report through a service that I subscribe to.The prospective tenant pays directly for the report and a copy is sent to me - without any social security info. Then the owner gets to choose who is the best qualified financially.
Personally while I will accpet a report printed for the prospective tenant it has to be current, like within the past week or so. I definatelty do not want to have copies of the report handed to me.
Be aware that the rules for keeping social data on people changed after 9-11-01.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA