Rentals in Schaumburg>Question Details

Angie Lazzara, Renter in Mount Prospect, IL

Could this be a Scam?

Asked by Angie Lazzara, Mount Prospect, IL Tue Apr 16, 2013

I saw a post on here and they were asking for 900/month for a 3bd 2 bath house...i emailed them and they said they were out of the country and she wouldnt answer all my questions. she said that i might find the house listed under different sites as being for sale, and I have found them...now the listing on here is gone. I asked how i mail her money for the monthly payments if i were to rent and she said i can only wire her money. Is this a scam?

Answers

11
Hey Angie!

Yes that is 100% Scam.

These people do this all the time. I have had a couple of my listings posted on craigslist as a "rental" for a Crazy low price. Luckily some of the people looked up the properties and found they were listed by me and asked me about it.

Never ever send them any money or anything!!!! Unfortunately, law enforcement can't do much about these scammers. The most you could do is report the ad on craigslist.

I live in the area. If you are looking for a rental, my team would be glad to assist you!

Give me a call 630.429.4486. :)
Scam! Scam scam for sure. I would stay far away from this.
Be aware! It's most likely a scam! It happened to me as the listing agent last year.
They used my listing information and photos and posted it as rental on Craig list
and other public sites. They asked for a very low rental price so they had a lot of interest.
People that were interested asked if they could preview the house and were told
that it's a drive by only but they knocked at the door and imagine my seller's surprise...
Definitely working with a real estate professional is highly recommended .
Yes!! This is extremely likely to be a scam! It's great that you spotted it. We have seen this before where someone clones a home for sale listing and places ads to rent it. They always have a reason that they can't show it and the money needs to be wired overseas. If you need help with a rental it's best to use a rental company or Realtor.
The problem is with finding another rental is that i am currently unemployed but do get an income. I am a recently divorced stay at home mom looking for a place for me and my children. So I do know this might be a problem since I cannot even rent most apartments as I have no job. I am currently looking for work. This was one of the issues that made me take a step back and question the person because it didn't seem to bother her that I didn't have a job. I do not know if i would need a co signer if I could get a place or how the rental process would even work since I do not have a a job.
It's most likely a scam. I do have a very nice 3 bedroom for rent in Streamwood if interested. Feel free to call me if you like. 847.922.5782 -Gary Bohn, Titan Real Estate of Illinois
Angie, You did the right thing by posting your concerns and letting us Real Estate Professionals guide you! This sounds like a questionable rental, and although there are plenty of legitimate overseas investors (who may use wire as a safe way of money transfer), it sounds like your gut is already telling you what to do. Don't be discouraged- This is the best rental market we've seen in years, and I'm certain you will find another place you love. Don't hesitate to use a Realtor to help you find the perfect place, as our service is totally free to you. Please reach out to me if you have additional questions and good luck!
Hi Angie,
Yes, it looks like a scam, out of country, wire money and price way better than average for the home in the area should raise red flags. The best way to avoid scams is never wire money up front and investigate if something looks too good to be true or hire a Realtor to help you with your search.

Please feel free to contact me if you need help or have any question.

Have a great day.

Paul Fijalkowski
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Paul.Fijalkowski@cbexchange.com
847-532-2093
This absolutely sounds like a scam. Out of the country, can only wire money, might be on other sites shown for sale, etc... all red flags. You should be able to contact someone qualified to view the property whether its a licensed realtor, leasing agent or the owner of the property. If it looks questionable, investigate.
These are definitely marketing scams to try and retrieve a security deposit upfront or more. I would recommend you work with a real estate professional to assist you in your home search. If it is too good to be true, it usually is.
Could be. I would be very weary. I know of landlords living in other countries, but typically they have an agent handle the rental or a property management company in place.
yea i just got in contact with the relator and she said it isnt for rent, only for sale
Flag Tue Apr 16, 2013