Rentals in Colorado Springs>Question Details

pndapowr, Renter in Colorado Springs, CO

Can my landlord move someone else into our rental without our consent?

Asked by pndapowr, Colorado Springs, CO Mon Nov 19, 2012

My roommate and I have been renting a house for three months from one of my friends parents. Earlier this month she messaged me saying that she was going to move someone into our house. My roommate and I discussed and decided against this new random stranger moving in. We told her this as well as the woman who was told she could live with us. Despite our protest this woman will be living with us within the next month. We are not on a room rental agreement. What do we do?

Answers

3
Pndapowr,

On the surface this does not sound right to me. The main issue will be the language in you lease agreement. Normally a lease will say who and how many people can live in the dwelling. Read your lease agreement and see if there is any 'unusual' language in it that would allow such an unorthadox arrangement. After that you will need to get advice from a real estate attorney.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
That sounds like a frustrating situation.

Contracts on room rentals can vary from contract to contract. Typically the landlord can rent rooms out to anyone of their discretion, but it depends on what is written in the lease agreement. The rental form that you would have signed would have stated the terms of your rental agreement. It should have specified who is on the lease, how many people will be renting and living at the premises, and what the process of replacing tenants will be. If the lease has a sub-lease clause then you would be able select other tenants, but this process also must be approved by the landlord. Ultimately, it will depend on how the lease was written. I would recommend having an attorney review your lease. But read through it thoroughly and you should be able to identify what your rights are.

If there is anything I can do personally to help call me at 719-229-5062

Dan Armstrong
danarmstronghomes.com
The lease does not specify that we are in a room rental situation. The lease does specify that my roommate and I are on the lease. It states that he and I are the only ones living on the premises. There is no information regarding the replacement of tenants. There is a sub-lease clause saying that we cannot sublease to anyone without the landlords consent.
Flag Mon Nov 19, 2012
I would need to read your lease. Chuck Birger 719-761-3099