Rentals in Uptown>Question Details

Gene Himelst…, Renter in Uptown, Chicago, IL

Can my landlord evict me only cause he wants to renovate and charge higher rent? Where can I go now?What can I do?

Asked by Gene Himelstein, Uptown, Chicago, IL Wed Feb 26, 2014

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Uptown

Answers

6
Here is City information on tenants rights. Hope this helps!
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dcd/supp_info/ren…
It all depends on if you are on a 12 month lease or month-to-month. You are protected if you are in a lease and paying your rent on time. If you are on a month-to-month, he just needs to give you 30 days notice to move out.
Chicago has a tenants rights department. You can talk to them about your rights or of course an attorney, but if your lease is up, he would not have to evict you. He can tell you to leave with 30 days notice, but he can only evict you if you have not paid or broken the lease in some way. If your lease is up though, he does have to give you notice, but the landlords does not have to renew the lease.

Once the lease is up, he can charge whatever rent he wants. It is his property. That is the problem with renting. Someone else determines your destiny and it costs more. You can try to buy, otherwise, you will have to find something else fast.

But the question is do you have a lease or not. Don't make him evict. Just leave. It will go on your record and you will not be able to rent again.
Yes, he owns the property, not you. If you don't want to move again you should consider buying something. There are advantages of owning over renting, and this would be one of those advantages.
Web Reference: http://www.markmalave.com
Gene,
If you are at the end of a lease or month to month, his reasoning is probably not important. I've attached a link to the State Landlord Tenant Law so you can make sure your rights are being protected, but the owner has rights too.
I don't know if they are following the proper procedures, but it sounds like its time to find another place to live. Start looking immediately and see what you can find.
In most states any tenant that has signed a rental lease must be given 30 days notice of eviction. Additionally this binding contract will outline that there is a set price that they have agreed to allow you to pay (any other stipulations must be outlined in the contract otherwise you can take them to civil court).