Paul Yoon, Renter in New York, NY

Can i find a studio somewhere in midtown for $1400 without a brokers fee?

Asked by Paul Yoon, New York, NY Wed May 29, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3119734869-Apartment-New-York-N…

Answers

6
You're asking a bunch of agents where to find a place without having to pay them?

That's like flopping a carcass into shark infested waters...and not expecting to get bit in the rear. Use an AGENT... pay the fee, and avoid being scammed.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 6, 2013
Don't get too excited over that "listing", as I wouldn't be surprised if it were a scam.

It sounds and looks too good to be true............doubt very much it is real.

And, - Murray Hill is in the EAST 30's not the west 30's...so they didn't even get the area's name right.....another red flag

Be very careful of any listings that look too good to be true as this one does......and NEVER, ever wire money to anyone claiming to be the owner. I bet if you contact this person you will be given some story about why they cannot show you the unit in person......the scammers always have a story.

In regard to finding a studio for $1400, with no fee, I will have to leave that information to my fellow agents who work in the city......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
Absolutely possible! There is ONE building in Midtown where you could find this studio. I'll even give you a hint- It's SMALL (really small)...and its in a doorman building...but the area is PHENOMENAL.

So if you're dead set on not using a broker, then good luck. You could find this place on your own, especially with the info I just gave you. But as I said- it is the only studio in that area for that price. Most cheap studios, depending on what you consider "midtown", are at least 1700/mo and on the water.

But it's an adventure. Take your time, do your homework, and see what you can find!

Happy Hunting!
The apartment you are looking at is offered for $1000 per month, no address is provided, just a shoddy picture of a nice kitchen with granite counter tops. Seems like a scam to me.

Below are some tip to recognize possible illegal apartments. I hope this helps.

We want to share with you a number of tips for recognizing an illegal apartment provided by the Department of Buildings. These include:
RENT—Rents that are significantly lower than comparable apartments.
EGRESS—Tenant should be able to access all available exits either directly from the unit or a public hallway. Apartments require two means of egress.
WINDOWS—Legal rooms require windows whose minimum size is twelve square feet. Total window area must be one-tenth of the room size.
UTILITIES—A listing in which utilities are included in the rent may be a way to prevent the disclosure of an illegal apartment.
MAIL—Tenants should be able to receive mail at the building address and should not be required to obtain a separate P. O. Box.
These are a few tips that may indicate that the apartment may not be a legal dwelling unit.
Paul, you're going to bend to the reality of using a broker. You're smack in the meaty part of the rental season and as the vacancy rate is somewhere around 1.5%, there isn't much to be found, certainly not by yourself.

Midtown inventory is tight as a drum now. With low inventory and many renters come spiraling prices. A classic case of supply and demand in the grand New York manner. Besides, we're not going to just give it away. Better expand your target area and get a broker. Good luck.
Unfortunately, it will be impossible to find a studio for $1400 with no fee in Midtown.

Rafael Barbosa | Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
CITI HABITATS
1456 First Avenue | New York, NY 10021
Cell 917.435.6611 | P 212.774.3800
http://www.citihabitats.com| See My Listings
" A Referral is the Best Compliment "