Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Rachk.robins…, Other/Just Looking in

Can anyone steer us in the right direction? My boyfriend has an eviction on his record and is having a hard time finding a place to live

Asked by Rachk.robinson, Mon Oct 21, 2013

My boyfriend was a contractor for a period of time and was bouncing from job to job. The contract for his job was prematurely terminated and he had a hard time securing another position. During this period of unemployment he was unable to make the rental payments and was ultimately evicted from his apartment.

He now has a permanent position with a company and is now looking for a new place to live. But I'm sure you all know how difficult this search now is for him. He can afford up to 1000 a month and is open to both the city and the west suburbs. Is there anyone out there that can assist him with his search efforts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

10
Options: 1) pay a couple months rent up front and a double the security deposit, they rent will stay paid up 2 months and he will not have to pay the rent at the end of the lease.

2) include a litter of explanation about the eviction, people are human and just need a comfort level about who he is.

3) have a family member with good credit co-sign for him, parents, siblings (NOT YOU).

4) go to larger property managers, they have a greater tolerance for credit issues, as opposed to individual unit owners.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
This is a fairly common scenario these days. A letter of explanation and extra security deposit does the trick very often. My clients have also had success when they are willing to sign up for direct deposit from their paychecks. Let me know if I can help in any way
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
Contact Gary Carlson. He's a private owner in Albany Park. If you tell him Toska Palmer sent you, he will take care of you. He has 1 bedrooms under $1,000.00. Please be prepared with a deposit, credit check and background fees. Offering a larger deposit as cushion and to build trust certainly goes a long way.

773-225-6829-Ask for Eric or Gary. They will assist you with just a mention of my name.

He's a great guy and is very fair.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
I can help if he can pay a larger security deposit plus a few months up front. Is this possible?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 21, 2013
That is definitely a possibility. Can you please provide me with your contact information?
Flag Mon Oct 21, 2013
If he is open to an apartment, he may get better luck from a leasing agent or corporate landlord. They are often willing to do different risks.

Unfortunately an eviction will eliminate him from a lot of rentals. Other suggestions, be up front with all landlords and offer more security, higher than asking rent, rent in advance, etc.

Letter from his employer about the position being permanent or have some one be a guarantee signing on the rent who has good credit and income.
Be honest and provide a letter of explanation
Pay more rent up front
Pay larger security deposit (if possible)
Have a co signor
I would just be upfront and honest with the people. Explain what happened, and offer more security deposit upfront. This should help.
Dear Renter,

Jacqueline gave you a great outline. Also avoid property management companies they often have exacting rules that they must follow for everyone. Look for private landlords.
he needs to offer landlord a larger security deposit an/or pre-pay several months of rent up front to make them feel more comfortable
Hi there ....I am sorry to hear about the evictions , you are not alone , this happen all the time .
Why you don't do the lease at you name ?