Rentals in Newark>Question Details

Landlord, Home Owner in New Jersey

Can a tenant be held responsible and can you deduct the cost of a bed bug exterminator from her security deposit. If she can be found liable?

Asked by Landlord, New Jersey Mon Apr 11, 2011

In March my tenant moved in all new furniture, by August i was starting to get bitten by something my mother said that the tenant had bed bugs, I laughed and she would have told me because of my husband being bed ridden. In a few days I saw the boys bring out a mattress I offered to hold the door and behold there were bed bugs. I ran ups stair to ask the mother why didn't she inform me. She said that she didn't know. she had been complaining about breaking out because of her insulin but didn't know that they were bed bugs. I got an exterminator he found a couple of bugs in my daughters room and 3 rooms infested on the second floor He said that they had to be there for 3 to 5 months before starting to move down stairs. there three visits to clear them out I had to relocate my husband each time the exterminator came. It cost me 1392.00.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Newark

Answers

2
Landlord,

Ouch.....the real dilemma here is being able to prove who is responsible for the infestation outbreak. You could easily claim the tennant caused the problem while they could take the position that their problem was caused by your neglect and the previous renters.

Our advice, avoid the hassle but when the lease is up.....perfect time to raise the rent and recover your expense over time.

bill
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 11, 2011
Bedbugs are an Eastern epidemic! Currently they are treated like other infestations; similar to a tenant bringing roaches, lice or fleas. Consult your attorney for tenant liabilty. There is case study to support both. Does your lease address or limit infestation abatement? Realtor Property Management limits your portfolio Risk