Rentals in Indianapolis>Question Details

Amistad, Home Seller in Tacoma, WA

Can a property management company In Indianapolis make repairs to my home without my permission and bill me for them? To whom can I file a complaint?

Asked by Amistad, Tacoma, WA Thu Mar 24, 2011

Several emails specifically states that I am not approving the repairs (claims he didn't receive them even though he responded to them); I was never informed of the repairs to be done (contract states that I am to be informed of them, and moreover, tenant's contract states that she has 2 weeks to state all repairs needed), and the supposed 'calls' for repairs came in after she had submitted the inspection report and list of items needing attention. Actually, I am not sure, the management company change their story so many time that I don;t know the details. Moreover, although I keep asking for invoices for the repairs he has provided none. In order to force me to pay and to justify his actions, he keeps threatening me with being fined by Indiana board of compliance. I terminated my contract with them, he is holding my rent funds to deduct the repairs he has claimed to have done (still no invoices or proof of work done), and continues to make threats about me being fined.

Answers

3
Armistad,

Tim is on the mark......it's time that you identify some legal assistance. As is the case with many scenarios such as this, making sure you have accurate records and a written account of the dates and times that events occured can be very important.

Be sure you are keeping accurate records of ecerything that transpires.

local BBB would be the best approach.
It's time to visit your attorney and get them involved. There is nothing we can do to help you. The answers will be in the agreement between you and your management company and what items were being repaired. Some items need special attention and can't always wait for an ok, heaters, leaks and dangerous things are examples.